Title V: State Innovation And Local Flexibility
Virginia's Transition to ESSA
Title V provides transferability authority to states and divisions, and authorizes grants to support rural school divisions.
Title V, Part A: Transferability Authority
ESSA contains provisions that allow school divisions to transfer funds between qualifying federal programs. This transferability provision provides a school division the flexibility to target and transfer funds to the areas it deems as needing the greatest assistance.
Funds may be transferred from the following programs:
- Title II, Part A – Supporting effective instruction
- Title IV, Part A – Student support and academic enrichment
Funds may be transferred to the following programs:
- Title I, Part A – Improving basic programs operated by LEAs
- Title I, Part C – Education of migratory children
- Title I, Part D − Prevention and intervention programs for children and youth who are neglected, delinquent, or at-risk
- Title II, Part A − Supporting effective instruction
- Title III, Part A – State grants for English language acquisition and language enhancement
- Title IV, Part A − Student support and academic enrichment
- Title V, Part B – Rural education
- The Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA)
- ESSA Fiscal Changes and Equitable Services Guidance-This is a PDF document. (PDF)
- Transferability Provisions Under ESSA-This is a PPT document. (PPT)
- Transferability Form (Word)
Title V, Part B, Subpart 2, Rural Education
This grant provides funds to rural school divisions serving concentrations of children from low-income families. A grant to an eligible school division is made according to a formula based on the number of students in average daily attendance served by the division. Funds may be spent in one or more of the following categories:
- Activities authorized under Title I, Part A;
- Activities authorized under Title II, Part A;
- Activities authorized under Title III, Part A;
- Activities authorized under Title IV, Part A; and
- Parental involvement activities.
Eligible school divisions may submit an individual or a consolidated application each year of eligibility.
- Title V, Part B, Subpart 2 – Application Guidelines, Instructions and Assurances-This is a PDF document. (PDF)
- Title V, Part B, Subpart 2 – Application-This is a XLS document. (XLS)
- 2016-2017 Title VI, Part B, Subpart 2, Rural and Low Income School Program Allocations Under Provisions ESEA of 1965 – Superintendent’s Memo 232-16
- 2015-2016 Title VI, Part B, Subpart 2, Rural and Low-Income School Program Allocations under Provisions of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA) – Superintendent’s Memo 245-15