The Virginia Department of Education is committed to ensuring equal access to information on its website to all people with disabilities. At a minimum, this web site meets W3C’s Web Content and Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 (WCAG) Level A and Federal Section 508 web standards while working towards WCAG 2.0 Level AA compliance.
Questions or concerns should be reported to email@example.com.
Tools & Resources
- World Wide Web Consortium Web Accessibility Initiative – Strategies, guidelines, resources to make the Web accessible to people with disabilities.
- WebAIM – Information, training, resources, guidelines and standards for Web accessibility and disability access to the Web.
- The World Wide Web Consortium’s (W3C) WCAG to Non-web Information and Communication Technology
- Planning and Managing Website Accessibility - WAI - W3C – This guide outlines activities to help you integrate accessibility throughout the web production process.
- Accessible University mock site – This fictional university's webpage is designed to demonstrate a variety of common web design problems that result in visitors with disabilities being unable to access the content or features of a web page.
- Penn State's Accessibility Guide - Includes many of the techniques one can use to build more accessible Web sites.
- WebAIm.org: Testing with the NVDA Screen Reader
W3C provides an extensive list of accessibility tools including:
- Accessibility Checker
- AXE Plugin by Deque Systems
- WAVE – Web Accessibility Evaluation Tool
- WAVE Evaluation Tool Chrome Extension
- Web Developer Toolbar for Firefox
Understanding color contrast and tools to assess and remediate potential violations
- Contrast (Minimum): Understanding WCAG SC 1.4.3
- Color Contrast Analyzer Chrome Plugin
- The Paciello Group Colour Contrast Analyser
- WebAIM Color Contrast Checker
- WebAIM on PDF Accessibility - Defining Acrobat PDF Accessibility
- W3C PDF Techniques for WCAG 2.0
- PDF accessibility from Adobe
Virginia State Agency Resources
- Accessibility Scorecard – provides statistical analysis for accessibility (WCAG 1 / Section 508) and detailed reporting for all commonwealth executive branch agency web sites.
- Web Accessibility Template Guide for the state of Virginia
- IT Accessibility Standards, Website Standards, Website Guidelines
You may also be interested in...
- Assistive Technology
- Accessible Instructional Materials (AIM)
- Infusing Assistive Technology for Learning: Assuring Access for all Students-This is a PDF document. (PDF)
- Universal Design for Learning (UDL)