School Safety Survey
The Code of Virginia requires school divisions to complete an annual School Safety Survey in order to assess school safety conditions. As a means for collecting individual school safety audit information, the Virginia Center for School and Campus Safety (VCSCS) annually administers the Virginia School Safety Survey. This web-based survey provides all public schools (K-12) with a standardized report format for conducting and submitting their audit information.
- Virginia School Safety Survey – at the Virginia Center for School and Campus Safety
- Also see, Superintendent's Memo 255-17 – September 1, 2017
Annual Report for Discipline, Crime & Violence
Due: See submission dates below
The Code of Virginia requires school divisions to submit data to VDOE on incidents of discipline, crime and violence (DCV). Current reports contain selected comparisons to prior years. DCV data are used also to complete federal reports required by the Gun-Free Schools Act of 1994 (GFSA) and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). GFSA requires annual reporting of the number of students suspended or expelled statewide for possessing or bringing firearms on school property. IDEA contains requirements for reporting disciplinary actions involving students with disabilities.
2019-2020 Discipline, Crime & Violence
New for the 2019-20 School Year
For the 2019-2020 school year, regional centers and programs will be reporting their discipline data back to the student's home school division and the school division will then report that data directly to VDOE.
In addition, for the 2019-2020 school year, the Discipline, Crime and Violence Collection will be the addition of the State Testing Identifier (STI) at the end of each record. For more information, consult the 2019-20 DCV User Guide below.
2019-2020 Support Documents
- 2019-2020 DCV File Layout (Word) | (PDF)
- 2019-2020 DCV Header File-This is an excel spreadsheet.
- 2019-2020 DCV User Guide (Word) | (PDF)
2019-2020 Submission Dates
- Successful submissions of DCV for school divisions are due on July 24, 2020.
- Verification reports submitted through the Superintendent's electronic signature process are due to VDOE by July 31, 2020.
2018-2019 Discipline, Crime & Violence
2018-2019 Support Documents
- DCV User Guide (Word) | (PDF)
- DCV Template (XLS) | (PDF)
- File Layout (Word) | (PDF)
- Tab Delimited File Requirements (PDF)
2018-2019 Submission Dates
- The closing date for submission for the regional centers/programs data is July 12, 2019.
- The closing date for submission for the school divisions is July 26, 2019.
- The closing date for the Superintendent electronic approval is due to VDOE by August 2, 2019.
- Crosswalk – All Offenses (PDF)
- Crosswalk for Offense Codes for Extraction (PDF)
- Cautioned School Information (PDF)
- Optional Law Enforcement Reporting Form (PDF)
- Sample Data Form (PDF)
- Superintendent’s Memo 291-81-This is a Word document. - includes the definition of “Aggravating Circumstances”