ABE - Adult Basic Education
Adult Basic Education (ABE) Programs consist of instruction that provides basic skills for adults who are performing below the ninth grade level in reading, writing, mathematics, and other basic skills.
Required National Reporting System (NRS) data must be entered no later than the 20th day of each month for funded programs. All final data is due by July 20th each fiscal year.
Required data (but not limited to)
- Staff Information
- Class Information
- Student Demographics, Tests, and Goal Information
- Student Attendance
Grants & Funding
The Office of Adult Education makes funds available for grants to support adult basic education and literacy workforce development activities. Funding is provisional and dependent on passage of a new Congressional budget and approval of the OAEL state plan. Additional state funds are used to supplement federal grants. For information on the grant application process, see Grants & Funding
Funding authority sources
- Workforce Investment Act of 1998, Title II, Sec. 222
- Special Session I of the 2006 Virginia General Assembly
Various grants and positions require written reports identifying progress or end of year (EOY) performance. There are currently no reports required.
- Workforce Investment Act of 1998 Information
- Assessment Policy (PDF) Effective July 1, 2011
- Goal-Setting Policy (PDF)
- Distance Education Policy (PDF)