English Literacy / Civics Program
The purpose of the Virginia English Literacy / Civics Education program is to support projects that demonstrate effective practices in providing and increasing access to English literacy programs linked to civics education. Participants are able to increase their English proficiency in reading, writing, speaking, and listening in order to understand and navigate governmental, educational, and workplace systems and key American institutions, such as banking and health care. Since electronic access to these systems is increasing, funded projects include the integration of technology in their program plans.
Competitive grant funds are used to fund priority areas.
Priorities Group 1
- Increasing the number of EL/Civics learners served through greater accessibility to classes
- Including the use of technology in teaching and learning
- Incorporating civics education into ESOL classes
- Implementing exemplary distance learning programs
Priorities Group 2
- Outreach activities
- Assessment activities
- Identification and dissemination of best practices
- Expansion of workplace programs
Countless adult learners in and outside Virginia continue to benefit from programs and resources developed and replicated through Virginia's EL/Civics grants.
For information on the grant application process, see Grants & Funding