February is 2015 CTE Month
CTE programs provide career exploration and career skills development for secondary students as well as recognizes the CTE professionals, businesses and community partners. This year’s theme is “Recognizing Classroom Innovators!” More information on 2015 CTE Month including promotional resources. Also see the Governor’s Proclamation for CTE Month.
Shenandoah County Agriculture Educator Is 2015 Virginia Teacher of the Year – Jaclyn M. Roller Ryan, an agricultural education teacher at Signal Knob Middle School in Shenandoah County, was selected from eight Virginia Regional Teachers of the Year as the 2015 winnerr. She will be the commonwealth’s nominee in the Council of Chief State School Officers’ National Teacher of the Year Program. See news release and find out more about the Teacher of the Year program.
Cooperative Education Training – A professional development workshop for teachers who are first-time and experienced cooperative education coordinators is scheduled for June 30-July 1, 2015, in Richmond. For details and pre-registration form, see Superintendent’s Memo 020-15. Also see Work-Based Learning.
Agricultural Education includes programs of study designed to prepare students for occupations in horticulture, agricultural business, natural resources management, agricultural machinery and production agriculture.
Agricultural Education stresses the development of skills in all aspects of agricultural businesses and industries, including planning, management, safety, finances and leadership.
NEW: A Strategic Review of Agriculture Education: Preparing Students for Successful Transition to College and Careers (PDF). This report represents a culmination of state and national research and extensive input from stakeholders representing business and industry, secondary and postsecondary education, parents, students, professional organizations, and policy makers. It provides recommendations for preparing students for success in the many agriculture-related careers that exist now and in the future which are critical to the economic vitality of the commonwealth.
The following courses were revised for implementation during the 2014-2015 school year. All curriculum frameworks are available through VERSO from the CTE Resource Center:
- Equine Management Production (8015, 8080)
- Ecology Environmental Management (8045, 8046)
- Agricultural Production Management (8012)
- Agricultural Production Technology (8010)
- Applied Agricultural Concepts (8073, 8072)
- Small Engine Repair (8082, 8081)
- Floral Design (8055, 8056)
- Floriculture (8038)
- Greenhouse Plant Production and Management (8035)
- Horticulture (8034)
- Landscaping (8036, 8039)
- Turf Grass (8054, 8051)
- Essential Competency List for Agricultural Education – Virginia's CTE Resource Center
- Administrative Planning Guide for Agricultural Education
These courses are part of the Environmental Service Systems and Plant Systems Pathways in the Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources Career Cluster.
Career and Technical Student Organization (CTSO)Virginia FFA Organization
Makes a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for leadership, personal growth, and career success through agricultural education that reflects a diversity of careers in food, fiber, and natural resources industries. For more information, visit the CTSO web page.
WBL is a school-coordinated, coherent sequence of on-the-job experiences that are related to students’ career goals and/or interests, are based on instructional preparation and are performed in partnership with local businesses, industries or other organizations in the community. For more information on WBL methods of instruction, visit Work-Based Learning.
- 2014-2015 Calendar of Events (PDF)
- Supervised Agricultural Experience (SAE) Program Resources
- Licensure Endorsement Requirements for Agricultural Education (PDF) – See 8VAC20-22-220 on pages 29-30 of the Licensure Regulations for School Personnel document.
- Career Planning Guide
- Virginia Tech Department of Agricultural and Extension Education
- Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE)
- Virginia Association for Career and Technical Education (VACTE)
Virginia CTE Agricultural Education ListservIf you are not on the Virginia CTE Agricultural Education Listserv, contact Carly Woolfolk to be added.