Shenandoah County Agriculture Educator Is 2015 Virginia Teacher of the Year – Jaclyn M. Roller Ryan, an agricultural education teacher at Signal Knob Middle School in Shenandoah County, was selected from eight Virginia Regional Teachers of the Year as the 2015 winner. She will be the commonwealth’s nominee in the Council of Chief State School Officers’ National Teacher of the Year Program. See news release and find out more about the Teacher of the Year program.
Agricultural Education includes programs of study designed to prepare students for occupations in horticulture, agricultural business, natural resources management, agricultural machinery and production agriculture.
Agricultural Education stresses the development of skills in all aspects of agricultural businesses and industries, including planning, management, safety, finances and leadership.
NEW: A Strategic Review of Agriculture Education: Preparing Students for Successful Transition to College and Careers (PDF). This report represents a culmination of state and national research and extensive input from stakeholders representing business and industry, secondary and postsecondary education, parents, students, professional organizations, and policy makers. It provides recommendations for preparing students for success in the many agriculture-related careers that exist now and in the future which are critical to the economic vitality of the commonwealth.
The following courses were revised for implementation during the 2015-2016 school year. All curriculum frameworks are available through VERSO from the CTE Resource Center:
- Agricultural Education – Development (8053)
- Agricultural Education – Preparation (8050)
- Agriscience Exploration (8003)
- Agriscience and Technology (8004)
- Biological Applications in Agriculture (8086)
- Biotechnology Applications in Agriculture (8087)
- Forestry Management (8044)
- Forestry Management, Advanced (8042)
- Foundations of Agriculture, Food, and Natural Resources (8006)
- Introduction to Agriscience (8002)
- Outdoor Recreation, Parks, and Tourism Systems Management (8043)
- Essential Competency List for Agricultural Education – Virginia's CTE Resource Center
- Administrative Planning Guide for Agricultural Education
These courses are part of the Environmental Service Systems and Plant Systems Pathways in the Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources Career Cluster.
Career and Technical Student Organization (CTSO)Virginia FFA Organization
Makes a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for leadership, personal growth, and career success through agricultural education that reflects a diversity of careers in food, fiber, and natural resources industries. For more information, visit the CTSO web page.
WBL is a school-coordinated, coherent sequence of on-the-job experiences that are related to students’ career goals and/or interests, are based on instructional preparation and are performed in partnership with local businesses, industries or other organizations in the community. For more information on WBL methods of instruction, visit Work-Based Learning.
- 2015-2016 Calendar of Events (PDF)
- Supervised Agricultural Experience (SAE) Program Resources
- Licensure Endorsement Requirements for Agricultural Education
- Career Planning Guide
- Virginia Tech Department of Agricultural and Extension Education
- Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE)
- Virginia Association for Career and Technical Education (VACTE)
Virginia CTE Agricultural Education ListservIf you are not on the Virginia CTE Agricultural Education Listserv, contact Carly Woolfolk to be added.