Nominations for 2016-2017 Career and Technical Education Curriculum Review Committees – School divisions may nominate a CTE teacher for each of the 36 committees. Approximately 12 applicants will be selected to serve on each committee. All nominees who wish to serve on a committee must complete the Web-based application using the CTE Application Processing System (CTEAPS). The Web-based application process requires a professional reference and division-level approval (division superintendent or designee). For more information, see Superintendent’s Memo 104-16.
Agricultural Education Programs of Study
Agricultural Education includes programs of study designed to prepare students for occupations in horticulture, agricultural business, natural resources management, agricultural machinery and production agriculture.
Agricultural Education stresses the development of skills in all aspects of agricultural businesses and industries, including planning, management, safety, finances and leadership.
NEW: A Strategic Review of Agriculture Education: Preparing Students for Successful Transition to College and Careers (PDF). This report represents a culmination of state and national research and extensive input from stakeholders representing business and industry, secondary and postsecondary education, parents, students, professional organizations, and policy makers. It provides recommendations for preparing students for success in the many agriculture-related careers that exist now and in the future which are critical to the economic vitality of the commonwealth.
Instructional ResourcesThe following courses were revised for implementation during the 2016-2017 school year. All curriculum frameworks are available through VERSO from the CTE Resource Center:
- Food Science and Dietetics (New Course)
- Introduction to Plant Systems (8007)
- Agricultural Structural Systems (8017)
- Agricultural Fabrication and Emerging Technologies (8019)
- Agricultural Business Fundamentals (8022)
- Agricultural Business Operations (8024)
- Agricultural Business Management (8026)
- Introduction to Natural Resources and Ecology Systems (8040)
- Urban Forestry – NEW COURSE NAME: Community Forestry and Tree Management (8048)
- Agricultural Education Course Listing (PDF)
- Essential Competency List for Agricultural Education – Virginia's CTE Resource Center
- Administrative Planning Guide for Agricultural Education
These courses are part of the Environmental Service Systems and Plant Systems Pathways in the Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources Career Cluster.
Career and Technical Student Organization (CTSO)
Virginia FFA Organization
Makes a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for leadership, personal growth, and career success through agricultural education that reflects a diversity of careers in food, fiber, and natural resources industries. For more information, visit the CTSO web page.
WBL is a school-coordinated, coherent sequence of on-the-job experiences that are related to students’ career goals and/or interests, are based on instructional preparation and are performed in partnership with local businesses, industries or other organizations in the community. For more information on WBL methods of instruction, visit Work-Based Learning.
Federal and State Labor Laws for Youth Work-Based Learning – Know the Rules-This is a PDF document. (PDF) is a resource that compares federal and state labor laws for nonagricultural and agricultural occupations, parental exemption, and prohibited and hazardous occupations as they relate to youth work-based learning.
- 2015-2016 Calendar of Events (PDF)
- Supervised Agricultural Experience (SAE) Program Resources
- Licensure Endorsement Requirements for Agricultural Education
- Career Planning Guide
- Virginia Tech Department of Agricultural and Extension Education
- Virginia State University Department of Agriculture
- Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE)
- Virginia Association for Career and Technical Education (Virginia ACTE)
Virginia CTE Agricultural Education ListservIf you are not on the Virginia CTE Agricultural Education Listserv, contact Carly Woolfolk to be added.