Cooperative Education Training – A professional development workshop for teachers who are first-time and experienced cooperative education coordinators is scheduled for June 30-July 1, 2015, in Richmond. For details and pre-registration form, see Superintendent’s Memo 020-15. Also see Work-Based Learning.
Career Connections is the area designed to help students prepare for careers and continuing education in a challenging and rapidly changing workplace. This service area provides connecting links for students in pursuit of career development and related career information resources. Connecting links include pathways, program models, or processes that lead to, or point the way to, career goals. The total concept of Career Connections includes the components of career information resources, career development, and career connecting links.
- Essential Competency List for Career Connections – Virginia's CTE Resource Center
- Administrative Planning Guide for Career Connections
Career Connecting Links
At the secondary level, career connecting links blend instruction with program models that provide for actual or simulated work-based experiences planned to apply classroom instruction to real-life employment situations and requirements. These links include the primary program models of:
- Cooperative Education
- Professional Internships
- Tech Prep Programs
- High Schools That Work
- Four-Year of More College Preparation
WBL is a school-coordinated, coherent sequence of on-the-job experiences that are related to students’ career goals and/or interests, are based on instructional preparation and are performed in partnership with local businesses, industries or other organizations in the community. For more information on WBL methods of instruction, visit Work-Based Learning.
- Virginia Association for Career and Technical Education – Special Needs Division
- Virginia Career Education Foundation – Know How Virginia
- Virginia Career VIEW – Vital Information for Education and Work
- Virginia Education Wizard
- Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE)
- Virginia Association for Career and Technical Education (VACTE)