Family & Consumer Sciences
News & Announcements
Nominations for 2017-2018 Career and Technical Education Curriculum Review Committees
School divisions may nominate a CTE teacher for each of the 34 committees. Approximately 12 applicants will be selected to serve on each committee. All nominees who wish to serve on a committee must complete the Web-based application using the CTE Application Processing System (CTEAPS). Schedule for the committees. For more information, see Superintendent’s Memo 124-17.
Family and Consumer Sciences programs facilitate student progress toward a set of unifying goals in the areas of academic achievement, cultural and environmental issues, health and safety, individual and family relations, leadership and workplace ethics, and application of technology.
MissionFamily and Consumer Sciences provide opportunities for students to develop the knowledge, skills, attitudes and behaviors needed for work and family life.
- Strengthening the well-being of individuals and families across the life span.
- Becoming responsible citizens and leaders in family, community, and work settings.
- Promoting optimal nutrition and wellness across the life span.
- Managing resources to meet the material needs of individuals and families.
- Balancing personal, home, family and work lives.
- Using critical and creative thinking skills to address problems in diverse families, communities, and work environments.
- Exemplifying successful life management, employment, and career development.
- Functioning effectively as providers and consumers of goods and services.
- Appreciating human worth and accepting responsibility for one's actions and success in family and work life
Instructional ResourcesThe following courses were revised for implementation during the 2017-2018 school year. All curriculum frameworks are available through VERSO from the CTE Resource Center:
- Career, Community and Family Connections (8205, 8282)
- Introduction to Virginia Teachers for Tomorrow (9060, 9061)
- Virginia Teachers for Tomorrow I (9062)
- Virginia Teachers for Tomorrow II (9072)
- Family & Consumer Sciences Course Listing-This is a Word document.
- Essential Competency List for Family and Consumer Sciences – Virginia's CTE Resource Center
- Administrative Planning Guide for Family and Consumer Sciences
- Industry Credentialing
- Equipment Resource Guide - See Equipment for CTE Programs
Virginia Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA)
Career and Technical Student Organization (CTSO)
Provides opportunities for students to prepare for multiple roles of family member, wage earner, and community leader as they develop skills for life through Family and Consumer Sciences Education. For more information, visit the CTSO web page.
WBL is a school-coordinated, coherent sequence of on-the-job experiences that are related to students’ career goals and/or interests, are based on instructional preparation and are performed in partnership with local businesses, industries or other organizations in the community. For more information on WBL methods of instruction, visit Work-Based Learning.
Federal and State Labor Laws for Youth Work-Based Learning – Know the Rules-This is a PDF document. (PDF) is a resource that compares federal and state labor laws for nonagricultural and agricultural occupations, parental exemption, and prohibited and hazardous occupations as they relate to youth work-based learning.
- Calendar of Events (Word)
- Licensure Endorsement Requirements – Family and Consumer Sciences
- Career Planning Guide
- Educators Rising
- American Culinary Federation (ACF)
- Virginia Association for Early Childhood Education (VAECE)
- National Education Association for the Education of the Young Children (NAEYC)
- Virginia Association for Family and Consumer Science (VAFCS)
- Virginia Association for Teachers of Family and Consumer Sciences (VATFACS)
- National Association of Teachers of Family and Consumer Sciences (NATFACS)
- Family and Consumer Sciences Education Association (FCSEA)
- American Association for Family and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS)
- International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP)
- The Foodservice Educators Network International (FENI)
- The Virginia Hospitality & Travel Association (VHTA)
- Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE)
- Virginia Association for Career and Technical Education (Virginia ACTE)