Health & Medical Sciences
Health and Medical Sciences prepare students for careers in disciplines related to medicine, nursing, dentistry and other health occupations programs through therapeutic, diagnostic, rehabilitative, managerial and supportive services.
Health & Medical Science Courses:
- introduce secondary students to nursing, medical, dental, and other health occupations
- prepare students with basic skills for employment in nursing homes, clinics, medical and dental offices, hospitals, homes, and certain public health settings
- facilitate entry into advanced health occupations programs that require post-high school education leading to state licensure, certification, registration, or national credentialing
- enable students to become more knowledgeable consumers of health services.
The occupational preparation programs prepare students for entry-level positions in a particular health field or for advanced training in health occupations at the technical and professional levels. Entry-level positions include:
- nursing – certified nurse's aide or licensed practical nurse
- medical – medical assistant, emergency medical technician or surgical technologist
- dental – dental assistant
- other health occupations – physical or occupational therapy aide, respiratory therapy assistant, rehabilitation aide, dietary aide, laboratory aide, geriatric aide, home health aide, housekeeping aide, sterile supply aide, transportation aide or veterinary assistant.
Local school divisions determine the structure of Health and Medical Sciences courses. Programs may be offered in two- or three-hour blocks or in a one-hour block the first year and a two-hour block the second year.
- Essential Competency List for Health & Medical Sciences (Virginia's CTE Resource Center)
- Emergency Medical Technician Guidelines (PDF)
- Health and Medical Sciences Licensure Endorsement Requirements (PDF) – See 8VAC20-22-250 on pages 32-33 of the Licensure Regulations for School Personnel document.
- Virginia Health Occupations Students of America – VHOSA
Within each cluster, there are multiple career pathways that represent a common set of skills and knowledge necessary to pursue a full range of career opportunities within that pathway. Career Clusters that relate to instruction in health and medical science include: