Health & Medical Sciences
News & Announcements
Changes in Submission of Licensure by Examination Applications for Registered Nurse (RN) and Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)Effective immediately, procedures for registering RN and LPN students for the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) have changed. Nursing instructors should communicate with their students that one of the following program completion verification documents must be submitted with the application to register for the NCLEX. Options for program completion verification are as follows: a letter from the school stating that the student has graduated; or an official student transcript from the school. For more information, see Career and Technical Education Memo 115-17-This is a PDF document. (PDF) and the attachment-This is a Word document. (Word).
Change in Nursing Regulations and Processing Transcript InformationThe new regulation, effective April 20, 2017, authorizes the Board to accept a letter in lieu of an official transcript from a pre-licensure nursing education program administrator attesting to graduation cohorts program completion. For more information, see Superintendent’s Memo 136-17.
Special Grants for Survey Fee Required for Practical Nursing ProgramsSpecial grants will be offered to school divisions with practical nursing programs that are scheduled for survey visits by the Virginia Board of Nursing during 2017-2018. This grant is being provided with Perkins funds to school divisions on a reimbursement basis and will cover the $2,200 survey fee. For subsequent years, the fee is an allowable expenditure of the Perkins grant award funds for career and technical education, if included in the local approved application. For more information, see Superintendent’s Memo 039-17.
- introduce secondary students to nursing, medical, dental, and other health occupations
- prepare students with basic skills for employment in nursing homes, clinics, medical and dental offices, hospitals, homes, and certain public health settings
- facilitate entry into advanced health occupations programs that require post-high school education leading to state licensure, certification, registration, or national credentialing
- enable students to become more knowledgeable consumers of health services.
The occupational preparation programs prepare students for entry-level positions in a particular health field or for advanced training in health occupations at the technical and professional levels.
- nursing – certified nurse's aide or licensed practical nurse
- medical – medical assistant, emergency medical technician or surgical technologist
- dental – dental assistant
- other health occupations – physical or occupational therapy aide, respiratory therapy assistant, rehabilitation aide, dietary aide, laboratory aide, geriatric aide, home health aide, housekeeping aide, sterile supply aide, transportation aide or veterinary assistant.
Local school divisions determine the structure of Health and Medical Sciences courses. Programs may be offered in two- or three-hour blocks or in a one-hour block the first year and a two-hour block the second year.
Virginia Board of Nursing Regulations
- Commonwealth of Virginia Regulations Governing the Practice of Nursing (PDF)
- Regulations Governing the Practice of Nursing PowerPoint (PDF)
- Flowchart Identifying the Process for Preparing and Submitting an “Application for Initial Approval of Nursing Education Program” (PDF)
- Flowchart Identifying the Process for “Continued Approval of Nursing Education Programs” (PDF)
- Nurse Aide Education Program – Instructional Personnel Form (Word)
- Nurse Aide Education Program Skills Record (Word)
- Nurse Aide Education Program Curriculum (Word)
- Criminal History Background Checks
Instructional ResourcesThe following courses were revised for implementation during the 2017-2018 school year. All curriculum frameworks are available through VERSO from the CTE Resource Center:
- Health Assisting Careers (8331)
- Mental Health Assisting Careers (8332)
- Biomedical Technician (8347)
- Practical Nursing I (8357)
- Practical Nursing II (8358)
- Practical Nursing III (8359)
- Human Body Systems (PLTW) (8380)
- Medical Interventions (PLTW) (8381)
- Biomedical Innovations (PLTW) (8382)
- Introduction to Mortuary Science (NEW)
- Health Informatics (NEW)
- Health & Medical Sciences Course Listing-This is a Word document.
- Essential Competency List for Health & Medical Sciences (Virginia's CTE Resource Center)
- Administrative Planning Guide for Health and Medical Sciences
- Industry Credentialing
- Equipment Resource Guide – See Equipment for CTE Programs
- Governor’s Health Sciences Academies
- Project Lead the Way
Virginia Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA)
Career and Technical Student Organization (CTSO)
Promotes career opportunities in the health care industry to enhance the delivery of quality health care to all people. For more information, visit the CTSO web page.
WBL is a school-coordinated, coherent sequence of on-the-job experiences that are related to students’ career goals and/or interests, are based on instructional preparation and are performed in partnership with local businesses, industries or other organizations in the community. For more information on WBL methods of instruction, visit Work-Based Learning.
Federal and State Labor Laws for Youth Work-Based Learning – Know the Rules-This is a PDF document. (PDF) is a resource that compares federal and state labor laws for nonagricultural and agricultural occupations, parental exemption, and prohibited and hazardous occupations as they relate to youth work-based learning.
Revised EMT Guidelines – The High School Based Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Educational Program Guidelines (PDF) were developed jointly with the Office of Emergency Medical Services to unify state and national standards, establish consistent EMT program standards, to ensure high-quality programs are implemented in high schools and technical centers throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia. Also see Superintendent’s Memo 119-16.
- 2017-2018 Reference Sheet-This is a Word document.
- 2017-2018 Calendar of Events-This is a Word document.
- Health and Medical Sciences Licensure Endorsement Requirements
- Career Planning Guide
- Virginia Health Regulatory Boards:
- Virginia Health and Medical Sciences Educators Association (VAHMASEA)
- Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE)
- Virginia Association for Career and Technical Education (Virginia ACTE)