Health & Medical Sciences
Nominations for 2017-2018 Career and Technical Education Curriculum Review Committees
School divisions may nominate a CTE teacher for each of the 34 committees. Approximately 12 applicants will be selected to serve on each committee. All nominees who wish to serve on a committee must complete the Web-based application using the CTE Application Processing System (CTEAPS). Schedule for the committees. For more information, see Superintendent’s Memo 124-17.
Changes for the Virginia Board of Nursing Examination Process for Nurse Aide Programs and Training Workshops
The Virginia Board of Nursing and Pearson Virtual University Enterprises (VUE) recently announced changes for the nurse aide examination process and a workshop schedule for presentation of the new information. For more information, see Superintendent’s Memo 095-17.
Nominations for Career Success Stars in Career and Technical Education
A new initiative called “Career Success Stars” will begin in 2018. It will replace the long running R U “College & Career” Ready Magazine, a VDOE production that has come to an end with its final publication of the 2017 Edition. The new initiative will feature video profiles of the Commonwealth’s brightest Career Success Stars, former students who are now in their 20s and 30s. The Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education is seeking CTE program completers to showcase for each of the 16 career clusters, an entrepreneur, active military personnel, and an apprentice or intern. For more information see, Superintendent’s Memo 053-17. Nominations form.
Special Grants for Survey Fee Required for Practical Nursing Programs
Special grants will be offered to school divisions with practical nursing programs that are scheduled for survey visits by the Virginia Board of Nursing during 2017-2018. This grant is being provided with Perkins funds to school divisions on a reimbursement basis and will cover the $2,200 survey fee. For subsequent years, the fee is an allowable expenditure of the Perkins grant award funds for career and technical education, if included in the local approved application. For more information, see Superintendent’s Memo 039-17.
Cybersecurity Instructional Workshop
In collaboration with the Cybersecurity Innovation Center (CIC), a cybersecurity instructional workshop in conjunction with the Career and Technical (CTE) professional association summer conference will be held at the Great Wolf Lodge on July 19, 2017. The workshop will focus on implementation of the Cybersecurity Fundamentals course and will provide instructional methodology and resources. For more information, see Superintendent’s Memo 093-17.
Save the Date: June 27-28, 2017, “Experience Works – A Convening of Business Leaders and Educators”
The Experience Works professional development opportunity will be held June 27-28, 2017, at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Richmond – Midlothian, 1021 Koger Center Boulevard, in Richmond, Virginia 23235. The targeted audience includes Work-Based Learning (WBL) instructors and coordinators, CTE administrators, school counselors, and career coaches.
Experience Works will bring together business, industry and educators to strengthen and build positive WBL experiences for CTE students throughout the Commonwealth. For more information about the WBL methods of instruction, please visit the Virginia Department of Education Work-Based Learning webpage. Online pre-registration is required and must be completed by May 19, 2017. Hotel reservations can be made online. For more information, refer to Superintendent’s Memo 112-17, Save the Date Flyer-This is a PDF document. (PDF), and Industry Tour Descriptions-This is a Word document. (Word).
- introduce secondary students to nursing, medical, dental, and other health occupations
- prepare students with basic skills for employment in nursing homes, clinics, medical and dental offices, hospitals, homes, and certain public health settings
- facilitate entry into advanced health occupations programs that require post-high school education leading to state licensure, certification, registration, or national credentialing
- enable students to become more knowledgeable consumers of health services.
The occupational preparation programs prepare students for entry-level positions in a particular health field or for advanced training in health occupations at the technical and professional levels.
- nursing – certified nurse's aide or licensed practical nurse
- medical – medical assistant, emergency medical technician or surgical technologist
- dental – dental assistant
- other health occupations – physical or occupational therapy aide, respiratory therapy assistant, rehabilitation aide, dietary aide, laboratory aide, geriatric aide, home health aide, housekeeping aide, sterile supply aide, transportation aide or veterinary assistant.
Local school divisions determine the structure of Health and Medical Sciences courses. Programs may be offered in two- or three-hour blocks or in a one-hour block the first year and a two-hour block the second year.
Virginia Board of Nursing Regulations
- Commonwealth of Virginia Regulations Governing the Practice of Nursing (PDF)
- Regulations Governing the Practice of Nursing PowerPoint (PDF)
- Flowchart Identifying the Process for Preparing and Submitting an “Application for Initial Approval of Nursing Education Program” (PDF)
- Flowchart Identifying the Process for “Continued Approval of Nursing Education Programs” (PDF)
- Nurse Aide Education Program – Instructional Personnel Form (Word)
- Nurse Aide Education Program Skills Record (Word)
- Nurse Aide Education Program Curriculum (Word)
- Criminal History Background Checks
Instructional ResourcesThe following courses were revised for implementation during the 2016-2017 school year. All curriculum frameworks are available through VERSO from the CTE Resource Center:
- Introductions to Nutrition for Health and Medical Sciences (8390)
- Sterile Processing Technician (8367)
- Medical Laboratory Technology I (8377)
- Medical Laboratory Technology II (8378)
- Dental Assistant I (8328) – will change to Dental Careers I
- Dental Assistant II (8329) – will change to Dental Careers II
- Medical Coding and Billing (New Course)
- Vision Care Technician I ( New Course)
- Vision Care Technician II ( New Course)
- Food Science and Dietetics (New Course)
- Health & Medical Sciences Course Listing (PDF)
- Essential Competency List for Health & Medical Sciences (Virginia's CTE Resource Center)
- Administrative Planning Guide for Health and Medical Sciences
- Industry Credentialing
- Equipment Resource Guide – See Equipment for CTE Programs
- Governor’s Health Sciences Academies
- Project Lead the Way
Virginia Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA)
Career and Technical Student Organization (CTSO)
Promotes career opportunities in the health care industry to enhance the delivery of quality health care to all people. For more information, visit the CTSO web page.
WBL is a school-coordinated, coherent sequence of on-the-job experiences that are related to students’ career goals and/or interests, are based on instructional preparation and are performed in partnership with local businesses, industries or other organizations in the community. For more information on WBL methods of instruction, visit Work-Based Learning.
Federal and State Labor Laws for Youth Work-Based Learning – Know the Rules-This is a PDF document. (PDF) is a resource that compares federal and state labor laws for nonagricultural and agricultural occupations, parental exemption, and prohibited and hazardous occupations as they relate to youth work-based learning.
Revised EMT Guidelines – The High School Based Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Educational Program Guidelines (PDF) were developed jointly with the Office of Emergency Medical Services to unify state and national standards, establish consistent EMT program standards, to ensure high-quality programs are implemented in high schools and technical centers throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia. Also see Superintendent’s Memo 119-16.
- 2016-2017 Reference Sheet (PDF)
- 2016-2017 Calendar of Events (PDF)
- Heath and Medical Sciences Update, April 2014 (PPT)
- Health and Medical Sciences Licensure Endorsement Requirements
- Career Planning Guide
- Virginia Health Regulatory Boards:
- Virginia Health and Medical Sciences Educators Association (VAHMASEA)
- Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE)
- Virginia Association for Career and Technical Education (Virginia ACTE)