Nominations for 2016-2017 Career and Technical Education Curriculum Review Committees – School divisions may nominate a CTE teacher for each of the 36 committees. Approximately 12 applicants will be selected to serve on each committee. All nominees who wish to serve on a committee must complete the Web-based application using the CTE Application Processing System (CTEAPS). The Web-based application process requires a professional reference and division-level approval (division superintendent or designee). For more information, see Superintendent’s Memo 104-16.
Marketing programs prepare students for postsecondary education and careers in marketing, finance, hospitality, management and entrepreneurship. Instruction in the Marketing, Hospitality & Tourism, Business Management & Administration, and Arts, A/V Technology & Communications, career clusters enable students to gain knowledge and skills in:
Instructional ResourcesThe following courses were revised for implementation during the 2016-2017 school year. All curriculum frameworks are available through VERSO from the CTE Resource Center:
- Global Marketing and Commerce (8135) New Course Name: Opportunities in Global Trade
- Global Marketing and Commerce, Advanced (8136) – New Course Name: Advanced Opportunities in Global Trade
- Sports, Entertainment, and Recreation Marketing (8175) – New Course Name: Sports and Entertainment Marketing
- Sports, Entertainment, and Recreation Marketing, Advanced (8177) - New Course Name: Sports and Entertainment Management
- Travel and Tourism, Advanced (8167) – New Course Name and Code: Travel and Tourism Marketing and Sales (8169)
- Hotel Marketing, Advanced (8162) – New Course Name and Code: Hotel Management and Operations (8159)
- Marketing Course Listing (PDF)
- Essential Competency List for Marketing – Virginia's CTE Resource Center
- Administrative Planning Guide for Marketing
- Industry Credentialing
- Equipment Resource Guide - See Equipment for CTE Programs
Career and Technical Student Organization (CTSO)Virginia DECA Organization
Prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe. For more information, visit the CTSO web page.
WBL is a school-coordinated, coherent sequence of on-the-job experiences that are related to students’ career goals and/or interests, are based on instructional preparation and are performed in partnership with local businesses, industries or other organizations in the community. For more information on WBL methods of instruction, visit Work-Based Learning.
Federal and State Labor Laws for Youth Work-Based Learning – Know the Rules-This is a PDF document. (PDF) is a resource that compares federal and state labor laws for nonagricultural and agricultural occupations, parental exemption, and prohibited and hazardous occupations as they relate to youth work-based learning.
- 2016-2017 Reference Sheet (PDF)
- 2016-2017 Calendar of Events (PDF)
- Licensure Endorsement Requirements – Marketing Education
- Career Planning Guide
- Virginia Association of Marketing Educators (VAME)
- Virginia DECA Foundation
- Marketing Education Association (MEA)
- Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE)
- Virginia Association for Career and Technical Education (Virginia ACTE)