Includes Curriculum Frameworks
Possible course options to satisfy the Economics and Personal Finance graduation requirement include the following:
- Economics and Personal Finance (BUS6120), 36 weeks (formerly named Finance) – competencies and framework are currently available; an Economics and Personal Finance framework has also been developed by History and Social Science for 6120
- Semester options:
- Finance 6121, 18 weeks – currently available – AND
- Economics, 18 weeks – History and Social Science 2801 with expanded endorsements
- Other courses that are aligned with the Economics and Personal Finance Standards of Learning
Other Course Options
To meet the graduation requirement to complete an economics and personal finance course, an online course is available to all Virginia public schools through VDOE’s Virtual Virginia. The course, aligned to the Economics and Personal Finance SOL and developed with the support of the Virginia Bankers Association Education Foundation and the Virginia 529 College Savings Plan, includes cartoons, interactive graphics, simulations using characters in economic situations and assessments.
The course is available at no cost to all Virginia public schools. Divisions offering this as an online or blended course must have a compatible learning management system. To use this course, in part or whole, a license agreement must be signed prior to receiving access to the course files. If a third party supplies the learning management system for the division, the third party must sign the Contractor’s Agreement.
Signed forms must be returned before course files can be accessed. Forms should be mailed to Sara Marchio, special projects coordinator, Virginia Department of Education, Post Office Box 2120, Richmond, VA 23218-2120.
If you have questions about the course, please contact Cheri Kelleher by phone at (804) 786-9281 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Economics and Personal Finance Online Course Overview and Specifications (PPT)
- Limited License Agreement for Use of the Virginia Department of Education’s Economics and Personal Finance Course (PDF) – includes Contractor's Agreement
- Economics and Personal Finance Course License Agreement – Superintendent’s Memo #068-12
- Economics and Personal Finance Online Course Hosting – Superintendent's Memo #136-12
Course for the Modified Standard Diploma
For students seeking the Modified Standard Diploma, the Board of Education has approved a personal living and finance course to meet a mathematics requirement. For the purpose of satisfying the requirement, a locally developed personal living and finance course may be based on either:
- Objectives for Personal Living and Finance (PDF) – approved in 1999 and revised in 2002 and 2006
- Economics Education and Financial Literacy: Objectives and Correlations to:
- Mathematics (SOL)
- History and Social Science (SOL)
- Career and Technical Education (Competencies)