English & Reading Resources
Standards of Learning Assessment Resources
- Writing Practice Tool – The Writing Practice Tool allows students to practice using the online writing format utilized by TestNav, the online testing software used in Virginia.
- Writing Practice Items and Guides – Provides the opportunity for students to practice multiple-choice and technology-enhanced items (TEI) that reflect the new content and increased rigor of the revised English Standards of Learning (SOL).
- Online Writing Resources – teaching strategies and lesson plans, video links, SOL progression charts, graphic organizers, and resource links to assist teachers at all grade levels in the instruction of the writing process. Beginning with the 2013 spring administration of grades 5, 8, and end-of-course SOL writing assessments, Virginia students will complete all direct writing tests online.
- Virginia Electronic Practice Assessment Tool (ePAT) – Released tests presented through the Electronic Practice Assessment Tool (ePAT) application, to closely simulate the online Standards of Learning assessment experience for students
- Released Standards of Learning Test Items – SOL tests that were administered to Virginia public school students
- Phonological Awareness Literacy Screening (PALS) – screening tool for Virginia's Early Intervention Reading Initiative consisting of PALS-K (for students in kindergarten) and PALS 1-3 (for students in grades one through three)
- Center for the Improvement of Early Reading Achievement (CIERA) – is a national center for research on early reading, representing a consortium of educators from five universities
- HELP MY CHILD READ Reading Resources – resources from the U.S. Department of Education
- Perspective's Understanding Scoring – Training tool to help Virginia's teachers prepare students for the English SOL Direct Writing Assessment
- Center on English Learning and Achievement (CELA) – Learning materials, teaching resources and online journals focusing on literacy
- National Writing Project – Professional development network for writing teachers at all grade levels
- Virginia Electronic Practice Assessment Tool (ePAT) – Practice SOL assessments and tutorials
- Virginia Association of Teachers of English (VATE)
- Virginia Middle School Association (VMSA)
- Virginia State Reading Association (VSRA)
- International Reading Association (IRA)
- National Council of the Teachers of English (NCTE)
- National Middle School Association (NMSA)