English Learner Education
Purpose & Introduction
The purpose of this webpage is to provide important information and links to resources that support educators in providing equitable instruction and services to English Learners (EL).
Divisions across the Commonwealth of Virginia serve over 105,000 ELs, who speak over 240 languages, and come from a variety of learning and cultural backgrounds. These students bring a unique set of assets that have the potential to enrich the experiences of all learners and educators.
The Virginia Department of Education works for the embodiment of an asset-based approach to educating ELs that honors their home language(s), background knowledge, and experiences.
- WIDA English Language Development Standards
- ELP Performance Definitions-This is a PDF document.
- Virginia Standards of Learning
Resources for Teachers
Virginia Department of Education
- Handbook for ELs with Disabilities
- WIDA Secure Portal access flyer-This is a Word document.
- 2019 Monthly Newsletters, ADA compliant versions: English Learner (EL) News & Notes
- TeacherDirect – Sign up to stay informed about new instructional resources, professional development and grant opportunities and other information of interest to teachers and their students.
- Content Specific Resources
United States Department of Education
- EL Toolkit – Resource from the USED that includes tools and resources for working with ELs
- Newcomer Toolkit-This is a PDF document. – Report from the US ED to support educators who work with newcomer ELs
- Colorín Colorado – A bilingual site for educators and families of English language learners. Includes resources on a variety of topics.
- Teaching Channel – View a variety of videos and resources that feature strategies for working with ELs (Note: Search “Academic Language” as a start)
- Understanding Language – Resources for Language, Literacy, and Learning in the Content Areas
- Using Educational Technology- 21st Century Supports for ELs-This is a PDF document.
- Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL)
- Office of English Language Acquisition (OELA)
- National Association for Bilingual Education (NABE)
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- The National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition (NCELA)
- Virginia Association for Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (VATESOL)
- Virginia ESL Supervisors' Association (VESA)
Teacher Preparation and Licensure
- Take a TESOL course
- Add an ESL endorsement to an existing Virginia Teaching License by taking the Praxis English to Speakers of Other Languages Test
- Obtain Initial Teaching Licensure or Earn a degree with a focus on TESOL
- Credit for High School ESL Courses-This is a Word document.
- Seal of Biliteracy
- Dear Colleague Letter for ELs-This is a PDF document.
- Title III: Language Instruction For English Learners & Immigrant Students – information and links to important Virginia and Federal Guidance.
- Virginia English Language Proficiency Assessments – information and links to information about ACCESS for ELLs, and other tests used in VA to measure language progress and proficiency
- English Learners: Guidelines for Participating in the Virginia Assessment Program-This is a Word document.