English Learner Education
The purpose of this webpage is to provide important information and links to resources that support educators in providing equitable instruction and services to English Learners (ELs).
Divisions across the Commonwealth of Virginia serve over 105,000 ELs, who speak over 240 languages, and come from a variety of learning and cultural backgrounds. These students bring a unique set of assets that have the potential to enrich the experiences of all learners and educators.
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) works for the embodiment of an asset-based approach to educating ELs that honors their primary languages, background knowledge, and experiences.
Email the EL Instruction Specialist to sign up for a monthly email newsletter advertising upcoming professional development opportunities.
- Professional Development Pathways-This is a Word document. – Includes links to a variety of topics and resources to support any EL educator
- VDOE Title III Professional Development Calendar 2019-2020-This is a Word document.
- WIDA Self-paced eWorkshops Flyer-This is a Word document.
Teacher Preparation & Licensure
- Take a TESOL course
- Add an ESL endorsement to an existing Virginia Teaching License by taking the Praxis English to Speakers of Other Languages Test
- Obtain Initial Teaching Licensure or Earn a degree with a focus on TESOL