English as a Second Language (ESL)
Standards & Assessment
Adoption of the WIDA ELD Standards
Section 1111(b)(1)(F) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA), as amended requires State plans to demonstrate that the State has adopted English language proficiency standards that:
- ‘‘(i) are derived from the 4 recognized domains of speaking, listening, reading, and writing;
- ‘‘(ii) address the different proficiency levels of English learners; and
- ‘‘(iii) are aligned with the challenging State academic standards.
On March 19, 2008, the Board of Education, adopted the World-Class Instructional Design and Assessment (WIDA) English Language Development (ELD) standards. In 2012, WIDA released the Amplification of the WIDA ELD Standards to support college and career-ready state content-area standards.
Implementing of the WIDA ELD Standards
VDOE offers the following professional development opportunities and technical assistance resources to assist educators in incorporating the ELD standards into lesson planning and classroom instruction:
- Technical Assistance on the VDOE website under the English as a Second Language (ESL) Instruction Web page include but are not limited to:
Assessing Comprehension & Communication in English State-to-State for English Language Learners (ACCESS for ELLs 2.0)
English language proficiency test developed to meet requirements of ESEA testing and reporting of English proficiency.
- Credit for High School ESL Courses (Word)
- Institutes of Higher Education (IHEs) with Pre-K ESL Endorsement Offering
- Approved Teacher Education Programs – Virginia colleges and universities with information on types of teacher preparation programs offered at each, including whether they provide undergraduate and/or graduate programs.
- TeacherDirect – Stay informed about new instructional resources, professional development and grant opportunities, and other information of interest to teachers and their students.
- Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL)
- National Association for Bilingual Education (NABE)
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Virginia Association for Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (VATESOL)
- Virginia ESL Supervisors' Association (VESA)
- The National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition (NCELA)