English Learner Education
Purpose & Introduction
The purpose of this webpage is to provide important information and links to resources that support educators in providing equitable instruction and services to English Learners (EL).
Divisions across the Commonwealth of Virginia serve over 105,000 ELs, who speak over 240 languages, and come from a variety of learning and cultural backgrounds. These students bring a unique set of assets that have the potential to enrich the experiences of all learners and educators.
The Virginia Department of Education works for the embodiment of an asset-based approach to educating ELs that honors their home language(s), background knowledge, and experiences.
- Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL)
- WIDA English Language Development (ELD)Standards
- English Language Proficiency (ELP) Performance Definitions-This is a PDF document.
Guidance and Resources
Virginia Department of Education (VDOE)
- Guidance and Technical Assistance Documents
- Language Instruction Educational Program (LIEP) Models in Virginia-This is a Word document.
- English Learner Instruction Professional Development Framework-This is a Word document.
- Cross-Curricular Instructional Resources
- TeacherDirect – Sign up to stay informed about new instructional resources, professional development and grant opportunities and other information of interest to teachers and their students.
- Content Specific Resources
United States Department of Education
The links below lead you to websites not associated with the Virginia Department of Education. VDOE does not necessarily endorse the views expressed or the data and facts presented on these external sites. VDOE does not endorse or recommend any commercial products, processes, or services.
- Colorín Colorado – A bilingual site for educators and families of English language learners. Includes resources on a variety of topics.
- Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL) – offers research reports and briefs related to ELS
- National Association for Bilingual Education (NABE)
- The National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition (NCELA)
- Office of English Language Acquisition (OELA)
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Teaching Channel – View a variety of videos and resources that feature strategies for working with ELs (Note: Search “Academic Language” as a start)
- Understanding Language – Resources for Language, Literacy, and Learning in the Content Areas
- Virginia Association for Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (VATESOL)
- Virginia ESL Supervisors' Association (VESA)
Teacher Preparation and Licensure
- Take a TESOL course
- Add an ESL endorsement to an existing Virginia Teaching License by taking the Praxis English to Speakers of Other Languages Test
- Obtain Initial Teaching Licensure or Earn a degree with a focus on TESOL
- Seal of Biliteracy
- Dear Colleague Letter for ELs-This is a PDF document.
- Title III: Language Instruction For English Learners & Immigrant Students – information and links to important Virginia and Federal Guidance.
- Virginia English Language Proficiency Assessments – information and links to information about ACCESS for ELLs, and other tests used in VA to measure language progress and proficiency
- Guidelines for English Learner Participation in the Virginia Assessment Program-This is a Word document.