News & Announcements
Public Comment on the Review of the 2013 Fine Arts Standards of Learning
At the March 21, 2019, Board of Education meeting the Department of Education (VDOE) was authorized to proceed with the K-12 Fine Arts Standards of Learning review process. It is anticipated that the review will be completed by June 2020. An important part of this review process for the Fine Arts Standards of Learning is the solicitation of comments from classroom teachers, administrators, curriculum supervisors, fine arts educators, and others who have worked with the current standards. Comments will be received at the following email addresses from March 22, 2019 to April 30, 2019 at the following email addresses:
Fine Arts Standards of Learning Review Teams
The VDOE is also seeking nominations for individuals who are qualified and available to serve on the Fine Arts Standards of Learning Review Team. The team will reflect four committees that will each be charged with the review of one of the four fine arts disciplines: Dance Arts, Music, Theatre Arts, or Visual Arts. Refer to Superintendent's Memo 063-19-This is a Word document. for more information.
CVC Campaign Art Contest
The Commonwealth of Virginia Campaign (CVC), the annual giving campaign for state employees, has requested that school divisions provide K-12 students with the opportunity to participate in the 2019 CVC Visual Arts Contest. The CVC plans to showcase the winning artwork statewide in posters, on the CVC website, via social media outlets, and in a charity directory. Also, the selected entries will be exhibited across the Commonwealth. The theme for this year’s giving campaign is “Virginia is for Givers.” Entries must be postmarked by May 1, 2019. Refer to the Superintendent's Memo, below, for full details and information.
Knowledge and skills that students acquire through instruction in the fine arts include the abilities to think critically, solve problems creatively, make informed judgments, work cooperatively within groups, appreciate different cultures, imagine and create.
- Dance SOL Crosswalk, 2006 to 2013 (Word) or (PDF)
- Dance 2006 Core Academic Correlation Chart (Word) or (PDF)
- American Alliance of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD)
- Virginia Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance (VAHPERD)
- Music SOL Crosswalk, 2006 to 2013 (Word) or (PDF)
- Music 2013 Core Academic Correlation Chart (Word) or (PDF)
- K-12 Sample Music Curriculum (Word) or (PDF)
- K-8 Instructional Strategies and Correlations
- African Heritage in Classical Music – Resources and information on 52 African, African American and Afro European composers, conductors and instrumental performers.
- Music Educators National Conference
- Virginia Band and Orchestra Directors Association
- Virginia Music Educators Association
- Theatre SOL Crosswalk, 2006 to 2013 (Word) or (PDF)
- Theatre 2013 Core Academic Correlation Chart (Word) or (PDF)
- Theatre Arts Sample Curriculum (Word) or (PDF)
- Technical Theatre Guidelines (Word) or (PDF)
- Creative Drama & Theatre Education Resource Site – Classroom ideas, creative drama, theater games, plays for performance and a book list for educators.
- American Alliance for Theatre in Education
- American Association of Community Theatre
- Southeastern Theatre Conference
- Virginia Theatre Association
- Visual Arts SOL Crosswalk, 2006 to 2013 (Word) or (PDF)
- Visual Arts 2013 Core Academic Correlation Chart (Word) or (PDF)
- K-8 Instructional Strategies & Correlations
- Visual Arts Sample Curriculum (Word) or (PDF)
- Safety/Toxic Art (PPT)
- Arts Education Partnership – Information and communication about current and emerging arts education policies, issues, and activities at the national, state and local levels.
- Joy2Learn – Videos and interactive multimedia presentations and performances by artists including Hector Elizondo, Alan Gampel, Gregory Hines, Wynton Marsalis, Elizabeth Murray and Richard Serra, from the Joy2Learn Foundation.