For questions regarding professional development, contact Kelly A. Bisogno, Coordinator of Fine Arts, Office of Humanities, by email at Kelly.Bisogno@doe.virginia.gov or by telephone at (804) 225-2881.
2019 Deeper Learning Fine Arts Leadership Conference
- Event Details: The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) is sponsoring the Fine Arts Leadership Conference for fine arts K-12 administrators and specialists. The Conference will be held on May 28, 2019, 10 a.m.-3:30 p.m. at the UVA Inn at Darden Event & Conference Center, 100 Darden Boulevard, Charlottesville, VA 22903.
- Purpose: The Conference will focus on deeper learning in fine arts education through community arts partnerships, advocacy and community engagement, and instructional best practice. The Virginia Coalition for Fine Arts Education and the Virginia Commission for the Arts will partner with the Virginia Department of Education for this event.
- Format: A keynote address will be given by Janet Starke, Executive Director of the Virginia Commission on the Arts. Additional session speakers will present information on a number of fine arts education topics around deeper learning including community partnerships, community engagement, equity/inclusion, and instruction. Regional breakout sessions are also planned to afford participants opportunities to discuss and share relevant information and best practices across fine arts disciplines in each region of Virginia.
- Registration: Each school division is encouraged to send individuals who supervise Fine Arts instruction for students in K-12, including central office specialist, and division contacts. Conference registration is offered at no cost to public sector employees and includes morning coffee/tea and lunch. A reserved block of hotel rooms at the rate of $119 plus tax are available through May 26, 2019, at the Inn at Darden. Hotel lodging and travel cost are the responsibility of Conference participants. Parking will be provided to all Conference participants at no charge. Visit 2019 Fine Arts Leadership Conference Registration to register by May 17, 2019.
Knowledge and skills that students acquire through instruction in the fine arts include the abilities to think critically, solve problems creatively, make informed judgments, work cooperatively within groups, appreciate different cultures, imagine and create.
- Dance SOL Crosswalk, 2006 to 2013 (Word) or (PDF)
- Dance 2006 Core Academic Correlation Chart (Word) or (PDF)
- American Alliance of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD)
- Virginia Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance (VAHPERD)
- Music SOL Crosswalk, 2006 to 2013 (Word) or (PDF)
- Music 2013 Core Academic Correlation Chart (Word) or (PDF)
- K-12 Sample Music Curriculum (Word) or (PDF)
- K-8 Instructional Strategies and Correlations
- African Heritage in Classical Music – Resources and information on 52 African, African American and Afro European composers, conductors and instrumental performers.
- Music Educators National Conference
- Virginia Band and Orchestra Directors Association
- Virginia Music Educators Association
- Theatre SOL Crosswalk, 2006 to 2013 (Word) or (PDF)
- Theatre 2013 Core Academic Correlation Chart (Word) or (PDF)
- Theatre Arts Sample Curriculum (Word) or (PDF)
- Technical Theatre Guidelines (Word) or (PDF)
- Creative Drama & Theatre Education Resource Site – Classroom ideas, creative drama, theater games, plays for performance and a book list for educators.
- American Alliance for Theatre in Education
- American Association of Community Theatre
- Southeastern Theatre Conference
- Educational Theatre Association/ International Thespian Society
- Virginia Educational Theatre Association/ Virginia Thespians
- Visual Arts SOL Crosswalk, 2006 to 2013 (Word) or (PDF)
- Visual Arts 2013 Core Academic Correlation Chart (Word) or (PDF)
- K-8 Instructional Strategies & Correlations
- Visual Arts Sample Curriculum (Word) or (PDF)
- Safety/Toxic Art (PPT)
- Arts Education Partnership – Information and communication about current and emerging arts education policies, issues, and activities at the national, state and local levels.
- Joy2Learn – Videos and interactive multimedia presentations and performances by artists including Hector Elizondo, Alan Gampel, Gregory Hines, Wynton Marsalis, Elizabeth Murray and Richard Serra, from the Joy2Learn Foundation.