Foreign language instruction is an important part of Virginia’s efforts to provide challenging educational programs in its public schools and to prepare students to compete in global society. Knowledge and skills that students acquire in foreign language classes reinforce and expand learning in other subject areas.
School divisions are encouraged to offer foreign language instruction beginning in the elementary grades. At the middle and secondary levels, the Foreign Language & American Sign Language Standards of Learning set reasonable targets and expectations for what students should know and be able to do by the end of each course offered for a standard unit of credit. Schools are encouraged to provide instruction that exceeds prescribed standards in order to meet the needs of all students.
This video was created as part of the celebration of 2005 as the Year of Languages. The program examines foreign language programs in the commonwealth and how Virginia prepares students, in classrooms and beyond.
News & Announcements
Applications for the summer 2018 Governor's Foreign Language Academies are now available
Please review the Guide for Students and Parents/Guardians-This is a PDF document. or the Guide for Schools-This is a PDF document. as appropriate before beginning the process. Schools must complete the nomination process and submit all materials no later than January 26, 2018.
There are important updates to the application procedures for the 2018 Academies. Consult the Guide for Schools for more information on:
- New testing procedures including a change to online testing for nominees to the French, German, Spanish, and Latin Academies; and
- A new online data entry requirement for private schools.
Foreign Language Related Job Postings
The Foreign Language Association of Virginia (FLAVA) maintains a listing of currently available positions in Virginia for world language teachers and supervisors. Visit the FLAVA Jobs Board to see a list of posted positions or to submit a vacant job for posting.
Foreign Language Textbooks
On March 26, 2015 the Virginia Board of Education voted to discontinue the state level review of foreign language textbooks for this review cycle. Local school divisions may continue to adopt foreign language textbooks using the Guidelines for Local Textbook Approval -This is a PDF document. (PDF). Sample correlation forms are available for local school divisions to use in reviewing foreign language textbooks.
Registration for the 2017-2018 Foreign Language Teachers Workshop Series (FLTWS)
The workshop series begins on October 1, 2017. This season’s sessions include:
- October 26, 2017: Gamification in the World Language Classroom
- December 7, 2017: Can-Do Statements for Intercultural Communicative Competence: Investigate, Interact, Reflect.
- February 15, 2018: Integrating STEM Topics in the World Language Classroom
- March 22, 2018: Arts in the World Language Classroom
- May 3, 2018: Using Technology to Enhance Your Comprehensible Input Classroom
- All FLTWS workshops are free and certificates will be provided to participants. Visit the Foreign Language Association of Virginia (FLAVA) website to register for sessions in the 2017-2018 workshop series.
Past Seasons of the Foreign Language Teachers Workshop Series (FLTWS) Videos
Videos, on a variety of topics, are now available for viewing on the FLAVA-FLTWS YouTube channel.