Virginia teachers, school administrators and content specialists may serve on various instruction committees. Committee type and times will vary, and may include: Standards of Learning (SOL) Review, Textbook Review and Support Materials Development. Other types of committees may be offered on an as-needed basis. Opportunities to serve on Instruction Committees will be posted on related web pages and announced via Superintendent's Memos. VDOE encourages educators to participate in this process.
Criteria:Committee members are chosen based on the following criteria:
- Grade-level and/or content area experience;
- Content area and pedagogical expertise;
- In-depth knowledge of the Standards of Learning (SOL);
- Instructional and/or supervisory experience with students of varied learning styles, abilities, and aptitudes, including students with disabilities and students with limited English proficiency; and
- Balanced regional representation.
Duties for members of SOL Instruction Committees will vary based on the needs of the committee and may include one or more of the following:
- Sign a Non-Disclosure/Conflict of Interest Agreement.
- Participate in committee meetings scheduled by the Virginia Department of Education.
- Review Standards of Learning in specific content areas.
- Recommend changes for documents under review.
- Review student applications for state-wide programs.