Mathematics Capstone Course
Mathematics Performance Expectations
The College & Career Ready Mathematics Performance Expectations (PDF) define the content and level of achievement students must reach to be academically prepared for success in entry-level, credit-bearing mathematics courses in college or career training. The Mathematics Capstone course, built upon content found in the Mathematics Performance Expectations, contains high-interest contextualized content designed to give certain students an additional boost for competent and successful entry into college and careers. The course will add to students’ preparation for college and the workplace by:
- enhancing students’ ability to apply knowledge and skills in number and quantity, functions and algebra, geometry, and statistics and probability; and
- simultaneously reinforcing readiness skills and dispositions in adaptability and flexibility, creativity and innovation, leadership, team work, collaboration, and work ethic.
Mathematics Capstone Course
The College & Career Ready Mathematics Capstone Course (PDF) is designed for high school seniors who:
- have satisfactorily completed the required mathematics courses based on the Standards of Learning including Algebra, Functions, and Data Analysis or Algebra II;
- have earned at least two verified credits in mathematics; and
- are college intending, but may not be fully college ready. The course may also support students who meet the same academic requirements but plan to enter the work force (prepared for further work force training) directly after graduating from high school.
On February 23, 2012, the Board of Education approved the addition of the Mathematics Capstone course (VA course code 3136) to the list of Board of Education Approved Courses to Satisfy Graduation Requirements for High Schools in Virginia. Read the Board of Education agenda item here: Final Review of Proposed Addition to Board of Education Approved Courses to Satisfy Graduation Requirements for High School Diplomas in Virginia Public Schools (PDF).
Instructional Resources for Teachers
Applied exploratory units were developed for teachers through a Title II, Part B, Mathematics and Science Partnership grant project continuation awarded to the University of Virginia and Radford University.
- University of Virginia’s School of Continuing and Professional Studies Office of Mathematics Outreach 21st Century Grant Project
- Radford University’s Southwest and Southside Virginia Secondary Mathematics Professional Development Center
- Grade 12 Capstone Course Content (PDF)
- College & Career Ready Mathematics Performance Expectations (PDF)
- Correlation of Virginia’s Mathematics Performance Expectations with Virginia’s 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning (PDF)
- Comparison of Virginia’s College and Career Ready Mathematics Performance Expectations with the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (PDF)