Algebra Readiness Initiative
The Algebra Readiness Initiative (ARI) provides mathematics intervention resources and services to students in grades six through nine who are at risk of failing the Algebra I end-of-course test, as demonstrated by their individual performance on any diagnostic test that has been approved by the Department of Education.
The ARI consists of two major components:
- a diagnostic assessment designed to guide instructional decisions for students that may need intervention services and
- targeted intervention services for students.
Algebra Readiness Online Resources
The following links provide information concerning the Algebra Readiness Initiative.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Algebra Readiness Initiative FAQ answers many questions that have been raised regarding implementation in Virginia school divisions.
Algebra Readiness Resources
- ARI Curriculum Companion – Aligned to 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning (SOL). Remediation lessons that may be used in providing intervention or remediation with students.
- Algebra Readiness Resources – Aligned to 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning
2018 Algebra Readiness Institutes
The Virginia Department of Education offered Algebra Readiness Institutes to division level staff coordinating Algebra Readiness remediation. Sessions provided guidance to school divisions in identifying targeted areas for individual student remediation using 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning student data reports, VDOE Algebra Readiness resources, and the newly developed Mathematics Vertical Articulation Tool (MVAT).
- Algebra Readiness Institutes Presentation-This is a PPT presentation.
- Mathematics Vertical Articulation Sort Activity-This is a Word document.
- Student Intervention Plan Form-This is a Word document.
Annual Data Collection & Reporting
As part of the components of Standards of Quality Compliance Certification and Other Required Reporting, each school division designates an Algebra Readiness Initiative (ARI) contact during the SSWS compliance process. This contact is responsible for collecting and annually reporting data by August 1st regarding the local ARI program and students being served.
- Virginia Algebra Readiness Initiative 2018-2019 School Year Annual Report Form-This is a Word document.
To receive SOL Algebra Readiness Initiative Payments, the school division certifies that it will:
- Offer an intervention program to targeted students;
- Utilize diagnostic methods to assess students at the beginning and at the end of that school year;
- Submit a report to the Virginia Department of Education by August 1 outlining the methods used for diagnosing individual student mathematics content strengths and challenges, remediation efforts used, the number of students who received ARI services, and the number of students demonstrating improvement during the school year; and
- Match these funds based on the composite index of local ability-to-pay.
Office of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics