Instructional Videos for Teachers
These instructional videos are provided as support for the implementation of the 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning (SOL).
The videos on this page link to Flash files which require the Adobe Flash Player plug-in. Download the free player.
- Play Video Working with Vocabulary / Concept Development (grades 4-8)
Dr. Lois Williams, VDOE mathematics specialist, on the Frayer Model for vocabulary/concept development.
Handout available: Working with Vocabulary / Concept Development (Word)
- Play Video Vocabulary (grades 6-8)
Dr. Lois Williams shares a technique to assist students who confuse common mathematics terms such as radius and diameter.
- Play Video Notebooks for Organization (grades 6-8)
Dr. Lois Williams explains an organizational system for middle school mathematics classes.
- Play Video Multi-Step Problem Solving (grades 4-8)
Cheryl Gray, Spotsylvania County Schools middle school mathematics specialist, on how to approach multi-step problems with data presented in a table. Handout available: Multi-Step Problem Solving (PPT)
- Play Video Scientific Calculator Use (grades 6-8)
Dr. Lois Williams explains the use of scientific calculators in Virginia middle schools.
Handout available: Scientific Calculator Manual (PDF)
- new Play Video Developing Early Number Sense (grades K-2)
Laura Domalik, Hanover County provides instructional strategies for counting and vocabulary. The strategies include counting on, counting back, one more than (+1), one less than (-1), basic fact concepts of +1 and -1, and missing addends.
- new Play Video Using a Beaded Number Line (grades K-2)
Laura Scearce, Hanover County, provides instructional strategies for using beaded number lines to develop the students’ skills in counting, counting backwards, rounding, adding, and subtracting.
- new Play Video Modeling Equality (grades K-2)
Debi Godfrey, Henrico County, provides activities with pan and number balances to represent and build the concept of equality in kindergarten.
- new Play Video Understanding Fractions (grades K-2)
Laura Scearce, Hanover County, provides instructional strategies for developing fraction sense amongst second graders by comparing unit fractions.
- new Play Video Ordering Fractions (grades K-2)
Laura Scearce, Hanover County, models the use of an instructional card game to reinforce the concept of comparing fractions.
- new Play Video Models for Teaching Fractions (grades 3-8)
Alfreda Jernigan, Norfolk Public Schools, highlights three key concepts that should be addressed when providing instruction on fractions.
- Play Video Rules for Order of Operations (grades 5-8)
Dr. Lois Williams shares an activity to get students to use writing in mathematics to remember the rules for the order of operations.
Handout available: Rules for Order of Operations (Word)
- Play Video Ratios (grade 6)
Denika Gum, Albemarle County Public Schools sixth-grade mathematics teacher, uses manipulatives to help sixth-grade students grasp the concept of ratio.
- new Play Video Strategies for Learning Basic Facts (grades K-3)
Laura Domalik, Hanover County, discusses the instructional strategy of doubles for developing basic facts concepts (1+1, 2+2,...10+10) that are found in the real word using the game "Doubles Cover Up."
- new Play Video Array Model for Multiplication (grades 3-8)
Jennifer Jones, Hanover County, connects the use of the array model for multiplication of whole numbers to multiplication of mixed numbers and then to multiplication of binomials in algebra.
- Play Video Fraction Concepts (grades 4-8)
Dr. Ena Gross, Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) professor of mathematics education, on the prerequisites students need for fraction computation.
- Play Video Fraction Computation (grades 4-8)
Dr. Ena Gross on one method sixth graders can use to approach multiple-choice fraction computation problems.
- new Play Video Area Model for Multiplying Fractions (grades 6-8)
Alfreda Jernigan, Norfolk Public Schools, illustrates the use of the area model for multiplying fractions.
- new Play Video Models for Dividing Fractions (grades 6-8)
Alfreda Jernigan, Norfolk Public Schools, introduces the concept of dividing whole and rational numbers by raising questions that tap into prior knowledge. Instructional strategies for incorporating area models through fraction strips and fraction circles are included.
- Play Video Integer Models, Part I (grades 6-8)
Theresa Wills shares five different models for integer operations.
- Play Video Integer Models, Part II (grades 6-8)
Theresa Wills demonstrates the uses of five integer models for instruction.
- Play Video Converting Units (grades 3-8)
Dena McElligott, Virginia Middle School Mathematics Teacher Corps member in Virginia Beach Public Schools, shares a problem-solving strategy for converting units.
Handout available: Converting Units (Word)
- Play Video Measurement in Square Units (grades 5 & 6)
Dr. Lois Williams offers a hands-on strategy to help students understand and convert square units.
- Play Video Volume and Surface Area (grades 6-8)
Karen Cribbs, Hanover County Public School secondary mathematics specialist, demonstrates a hands-on introduction to volume and surface area.
- Play Video Liquid Measure (grades 4-8)
Dena McElligott demonstrates a manipulative that helps students see the relationships among the customary units of liquid measure.
- Play Video Units of Measure (grades 4-8)
Karen Cribbs models a visual approach to the concepts of linear, square and cubic units.
- Play Video Angles (grades 3-8)
Dr. Margie Mason from The College of William and Mary, demonstrates strategies to develop concepts related to angles.
- Play Video Properties of Polygons (grades 4-8)
Dr. Margie Mason offers models for helping students compare and contrast classes of quadrilaterals.
Engaging activities and questioning techniques for statistics.
- new Play Video Mean as Fair Share (Grades 5&6)
Dedra Wright, VDOE, provides models for developing the concept of mean as fair share.
- new Play Video Mean as Balance Point (Grades 5&6)
Dedra Wright, VDOE, provides models for developing the concept of mean as balance point.
- Play Video Statistics (grades 4-8)
Brian Domroes provides analysis-level questions for statistics.
- Play Video Box and Whisker Plots (Algebra I)
Brian Domroes, Spotsylvania County Schools middle school mathematics specialist, on techniques for engaging students with box and whisker plots.
- Play Video Calculators and Statistics (grades 6-8)
Eurice Dawley, of Norfolk City Public Schools demonstrates a lesson on mean and the scientific calculator.
- Play Video Properties (grades 3-8)
Noel Klimenko, mathematics specialist with Fairfax County Public Schools, describes instructional steps leading to the understanding of properties.
- new Play Video Commutative Property (grades 3-8)
Debi Godfrey, Henrico County, discusses the use of arrays to represent the commutative property in grade 3.
- new Play Video Associative Property for Addition (grades 4-8)
Debi Godfrey, Henrico County, demonstrates use of symbolic examples to model and reinforce the associative property in grade 4.
- new Play Video Distributive Property of Multiplication Over Addition (grades 5-8)
Debi Godfrey, Henrico County, models an exercise with arrays and place value to represent the distributive property in grade 5.
- new Play Video Modeling One-step Equations (grades 5 & 6)
Debi Godfrey, Henrico County, demonstrates using concrete, pictorial, and symbolic models of one-step equations on an equation mat.
- Play Video Extending Patterns (grades 6-8)
Denise Walston, Norfolk Public Schools senior mathematics coordinator, presents an example for extending patterns.
Handouts available: Extending Patterns Chart (Word) and Slides (PPT)
- Instructional support videos for grades 7 and 8 from the Tidewater Team for Mathematics Education at The College of William and Mary