Muddying the Waters – Extensions for Students
Extensions for Students
- Design an action plan for preventing sediment from entering the Bay or its tributaries.
- Write a story from the perspective of a bottom-dwelling organism in a river clouded with sediment.
- Look for sources of sediment in the schoolyard.
- Complete the Virginia Institute of Marine Science's "Bernie's Toes" lesson from the Virginia Bay Team program (see Resources).
- Pretend that you are a Bay creature (e.g., crab, oyster, shad, rockfish). Write a letter to a community, business, or developer, describing the problems you face as a result of excess sediment in the Bay.
- See Build Your Own Rain Garden in the Project Action Guide.