Muddying the Waters – Session 1
Perform these steps in preparation for Session 1 activity.
- For each jar (1 per student group) cut a 2-inch-wide strip of white paper the approximate height of the jar.
- Divide each strip lengthwise into 3 zones, and label each zone: "A" at the top, "B" in the center, and "C" at the bottom.
- Attach each strip to a jar vertically with the letters facing inward so that students can look through the jar from one side and see the strip and its labels on the opposite side.
Conduct this session in the classroom.
- Define and discuss sediment if you have not already done so in previous activities. Explain that when soil and other particles are eroded from the land, they are carried into waterways.
- Distribute a Student Experiment Sheet PDF • Word and Student Data Sheet PDF • Word to each student. Explain how the sheets are to be used, and ensure that the students understand the experiment procedures.
- Have students complete the "Hypothesis" section of the Student Experiment Sheet. When they are done, ask students to share their predictions with the class.
- Divide the class into groups of 3–4, and give each group the materials for the experiment (i.e., jar, soil, stirrer, measuring cup, and stopwatch). Instruct students to perform the experiment procedures, and explain that each group member should complete his or her own Student Data Sheet (with help from group members).