Stream Creatures: Clues to Stream Health – Extensions for Students
Extensions for Students
- Make a computer database of macroinvertebrates.
- Research other stream animals and plants.(See Using the Library Media Center for Project Research and Using the World Wide Web for Project Research in the Project Action Guide).
- Read related poetry (see Resources) and write your own stream poem.
- Learn more about the Virginia Save Our Streams program, and monitor a stream near your school four times a year. If one person is trained and becomes a certified monitor, then your class' data will be included in a database used by scientists across the state.
- Take a field trip to Lake Anna State Park or another state park to learn more about stream flow and ecosystems, as in the activities "Life of a Stream" and "Mainstream" (see Resources).
- See Conducting a Stream Quality Survey in the Project Action Guide.