Types of Pollution – Extensions for Students
Extensions for Students
- After identifying pollution problems in the school and schoolyard, write the problems on cards, classify them in the Venn diagram as in Session 1, and graph the types to find the most common problems.
- Implement some of the school and schoolyard solutions.
- Research local and state laws regulating pollution.(See Using the Library Media Center for Project Research and Using the World Wide Web for Project Research in the Project Action Guide).
- Research water pollution using Morgan's Acid Rain, Frost's Keeping Water Clean, and other resources (see Resources).
- Read Tate's Crabby's Water Wish, Allsburg's Just A Dream, or Jeffers' Brother Eagle, Sister Sky; then write an original story with a message about pollution (see Resources).
- Take a field trip to Lake Anna State Park, or another state park, to test water quality, as in the activity "A Check-up for Lake Anna" (see Resources).
- See Build Your Own Rain Garden in the Project Action Guide.
- See Improving Streams through Waterway Cleanups in the Project Action Guide.
- See Restoring the Environment through Land Cleanups in the Project Action Guide.