Resources For The Media
The Office of Communications is available to assist the news media with information to accurately report on issues involving Virginia's public education system, the Virginia Department of Education and the Virginia Board of Education.
Charles Pyle, Director of Communications
Julie Grimes, Communications Manager
- Glossary of terms related to public education in Virginia (PDF)
- Getting Around the VDOE website (PDF) – information on the site structure and a detailed outline of topics and subtopics that can be printed and kept as a reference
- Board Meetings – includes dates, agendas, minutes and summaries
- Education Legislation – includes legislative tracking reports and information on previous years’ General Assembly bills and resolutions related to education
- School, School Division & State Report Cards
- Accreditation & Federal Reports
- Graduation, Completion & Dropout Data
- Accountability and Virginia Public Schools – a guide to understanding Virginia’s system for holding schools accountable for raising student achievement.
- School Division Efficiency Reviews
- School Division Locale Descriptions (PDF) (XLS)
- School Division School-Year Calendars (PDF) (XLS)
Downloadable photographs of the superintendent of public instruction, Board of Education meetings and newsworthy VDOE events are available for media use. Media outlets using images are asked to notify the Office of Communications, provide a link to the photo(s) used and include the following credit “Photo by Virginia Department of Education.” If you have special print needs or concerns, please contact the Office of Communications.
VDOE Flickr Photostream Sets:
- Superintendent of Public Instruction Official Portraits
- Superintendent of Public Instruction with Students
- Board of Education Meetings
- Newsworthy VDOE Events