October 4, 2006
Director of Communications
Public Information Officer
Deadline for Applications is October 31
The Virginia Board of Education is seeking applications for its Student Advisory Committee for the 2006-2007 school year. The committee will consist of one high school student from each of the eight Superintendents’ Regional Study Groups and four middle school students selected at-large. The Student Advisory Committee will meet in Richmond at least three times during the 2006-2007 school year and will make presentations to the Board.
Each public high school, middle school, and statewide student organization may submit one nomination. Nominees should:
- Demonstrate solid academic performance;
- Possess strong communication and leadership skills;
- Have evidence of involvement in a variety of co-curricular and/or extra-curricular activities;
- Show an interest in learning about and contributing to state policies affected by the Virginia Board of Education; and
- Have access to e-mail and the Internet, either through their home or at school.
A student interested in serving on the Student Advisory Committee should talk with his or her school counselor for application information. Completed nomination packets will be accepted by mail or fax. Applications must be postmarked by October 31 and mailed to Margaret N. Roberts, executive assistant to the Board of Education, Virginia Department of Education, P.O. Box 2120, Richmond, VA 23218-2120. Faxed applications must be received by 5 p.m. on October 31. The fax number is (804) 225-2524.
A selection committee consisting of members of the Board of Education will review the applications. Students applying to serve on the Student Advisory Committee will be notified of the selection committee’s decisions by November 21.