December 6, 2007
Director of Communications
Public Information Officer
Students Gather December 11 in Richmond for First Meeting
Eight high school and four middle school students have been selected to serve on the Board of Education's 2007-2008 Student Advisory Committee. The students will identify and research issues of concern to public school students and report their findings and recommendations to the board in the spring.
The Student Advisory Committee members are as follows:
- Anna Akers-Pecht, Governor's School of Southside Virginia and Brunswick High School in Brunswick County
- Patrick Curtis, William Fleming High School in Roanoke
- Christina Darling, Atlee High School in Hanover County
- Shannon Farrow, Ni River Middle School in Spotsylvania County
- Yon Kyu "Daniel" Jang, River Bend Middle School in Loudoun County
- Nitin Nainani, Chickahominy Middle School in Hanover County
- Corinna Pan, Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Fairfax County
- Sean Poppen, Greenbrier Middle School in Chesapeake
- Andrew Proffitt, John S. Battle High School in Washington County
- Brielle Spencer, Heritage High School in Lynchburg
- Sandra Suhling, North Stafford High School in Stafford County
- Hannah Wagner, Western Branch High School in Chesapeake
The first meeting of the 2007-2008 committee is scheduled for 10 a.m., Tuesday, December 11, at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Richmond. Board of Education members Isis M. Castro and Eleanor B. Saslaw will serve as mentors to the students as the committee hears presentations from Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) staff and identifies issues for study.
The Student Advisory Committee was established in 2000 as a means for students to advise the board on issues affecting students in the commonwealth's public schools. The committee is selected from nominations received from high schools, middle schools and statewide student organizations and includes one high school student from each of VDOE's eight study regions and four middle school students selected at large.
Printable Version (PDF)