June 19, 2007
Director of Communications
Public Information Officer
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE), the Virginia Advisory Committee for Career and Technical Education (VACTEA) and the Virginia Community College System this week recognized the outstanding work of business and industry representatives for promoting career and technical education (CTE), as well as the efforts of educators in providing exceptional instruction and positive outcomes for students. The awards were presented Monday during a luncheon in Richmond.
Randy Bullock, Charles Cimo and Liza Schmieder of Prince George High School in Prince George County received the 2007 State Group Award for outstanding contributions to career and technical education and Chrystal Harris of Park View High School in Mecklenburg County earned the 2007 State Individual Award.
The following awards were also presented:
VDOE Regional Group Awards
- Region 2: Kay Gramling, Suzette Johnson, Rob Lanz, Gina Wood, Johnna Levins and Diane Hruska of Landstown High School in Virginia Beach for "Beach SANDwiches & More"
- Region 4: Kathryn Chrisman/DECA of Potomac Falls High School in Loudoun County for "Night at the Falls, Learn and Earn"
- Region 7: Dickenson County Career Center for "Construction of New Classroom and Greenhouse"
- Region 8: Christopher Clarke, Joe Kuhn and Julia McInturf of Park View High School in Mecklenburg County and Parkview Senior Primary School in South Africa for "South Hill to South Africa: A Tale of Two Park View Schools"
VDOE Regional Individual Awards
- Region 1: Sheila Bailey of Brookland Middle School in Henrico County for "Winter Coat Drive for the Needy"
- Region 2: Cara Kimball of Lake Taylor High School in Norfolk for "For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology (FIRST) Robotics"
- Region 3: Kaye Marie Pennock of Stafford High School in Stafford County for "Stafford High School Students Bringing Back Character Education"
- Region 5: Sandra Williams of E.C. Glass High School in Lynchburg for "Let Your Smile Show Your Style"
- Region 6: Connie Ray Yeatts of Chatham Middle School in Pittsylvania County for "FIRST Lego League Robotics Engineering Class"
- Region 7: DeDe Whichard of Abingdon High School in Washington County for "PTSA Cultural Arts Competition video project"
VACTEA Regional Advisory Council/Committee School Division or Joint Technical Center Awards
- Automotive Service Advisory Committee for Virginia Beach Public Schools
- Smyth Career and Technology Center Advisory Committee
- Spotsylvania Career and Technical Center's Automotive Youth Education System Business and Education Council
VACTEA State Advisory Council/Committee School Division or Joint Technical Center Award
- Career and Technical Education Advisory Committee of Chesterfield County Public Schools
VACTEA Regional Business and Industry Partnership Community College Awards
- BAE Systems' Norfolk Ship Repair for its partnership with Tidewater Community College
- EIT South for its partnership with Danville Community College
VACTEA State Business and Industry Partnership Community College Award
- AREVA NP Inc. for its partnership with Central Virginia Community College
VACTEA Regional Business and Industry Partnership School Division or Joint Technical Center Awards
- Bank of America for its partnership with Richmond Technical Center
- Opportunity Inc. for its partnership with Virginia Beach Public Schools' Office of Technical and Career Education
- Precision Steel Manufacturing Corporation for its partnership with Botetourt Technical Education Center
- Prince William County Greater Manassas Chamber of Commerce for its partnership with Stonewall Jackson High School in Prince William County
- Shenandoah Valley Builders Association for its partnership with Massanutten Technical Center
- SmartStyles for its partnership with Tazewell County Career and Technical Center
VACTEA State Business and Industry Partnership School Division or Joint Technical Center Award
- Dominion for its partnership with Halifax County Public Schools