December 12, 2008
Director of Communications
Public Information Officer
Harrisonburg Instructional Technology Supervisor Receives State Award
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) today honored Karen Campbell, the supervisor of instructional technology for Harrisonburg Public Schools, with the 2008 State Educational Technology Leadership Award and the Region 5 Educational Technology Leadership Award. The awards were presented during the annual Educational Technology Leadership Conference in Roanoke, sponsored by Virginia Tech.
The Educational Technology Leadership Awards, presented annually, acknowledge outstanding school division leadership in education technology planning and implementation. Division superintendents in each of VDOE's eight study regions select individuals for the award. Recipients are chosen for their success in helping school divisions improve teaching and learning through the use of instructional media and technology.
In addition to Campbell, the 2008 regional winners are:
- Jeff Alleman, technology coordinator, Covington Public Schools, Region 6
- Rebecca Coffman, instructional technology resource teacher, Shenandoah County Public Schools, Region 4
- Terri Hechler, director of technology services, Hanover County Public Schools , Region 1
- Jason Lester, manager of information technology, Washington County Public Schools, Region 7
- Phillip Sanderson, Mathews High School mathematics teacher and department chair, Mathews County Public Schools, Region 3
- Joshua Spaugh, director of technology, Isle of Wight County Public Schools, Region 2
- Gerrit VanVoorhees, director of technology, Cumberland County Public Schools, Region 8
The Virginia Educational Technology Advisory Committee (VETAC), which advises the Virginia Board of Education on educational technology, also presented its 2008 VETAC Leadership Award to William Flaherty, supervisor for technology for Spotsylvania County Public Schools. The award is presented to individuals who have demonstrated strong leadership both statewide and in their participation as a member of VETAC.