Richmond, VA — The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) is awarding grants to fund new 21st Century Community Learning Centers in communities across the commonwealth. The 33 grants range from $50,000 to $200,000, and will allow school divisions, non-profits and community groups to offer tutoring and other enrichment activities at 37 schools while providing educational services to the families of participating students.
The centers will operate before and after school, during school breaks, on Saturdays and during summer vacation. Applicants were encouraged to consult with parents, community groups, businesses, arts and cultural organizations and youth services agencies to develop successful applications and programs.
The new 21st Century Learning Center grant recipients and program locations for 2016-2017 are as follows:
- Alternatives, Inc. — Hunter B. Andrews PK-8, Hampton Public Schools
- Bedford Area Family YMCA — Bedford Elementary, Bedford County Public Schools
- Bedford Area Family YMCA — Montvale Elementary, Bedford County Public Schools
- Buchanan County Public Schools — Riverview Elementary/Middle
- Chesterfield County Public Schools — Chalkley Elementary
- Colonial Beach Public Schools — Colonial Beach Elementary and Colonial Beach High
- Fairfax County Public Schools — Walt Whitman Middle
- Greensville County Public Schools — Edward W. Wyatt Middle
- Greensville County Public Schools — Greensville High
- Hampton Public Schools — Aberdeen Elementary
- Hampton Public Schools — Forrest Elementary
- Hampton Public Schools — Machen Elementary
- Hampton Public Schools — Tyler Middle
- Higher Achievement, Inc. — Thomas Henderson Middle, Thomas C. Boushall Middle and Binford Middle, Richmond Public Schools
- Hopewell Public Schools — Carter G. Woodson Middle
- Hopewell Public Schools — Patrick Copeland Elementary
- Lynchburg Public Schools — Heritage Elementary
- Lynchburg Public Schools — Paul Laurence Dunbar Middle School of Innovation
- Lynchburg Public Schools — Sandusky Middle
- Norfolk Public Schools — Suburban Park Elementary
- Patrick Henry Community College — Bassett High and Magna Vista High, Henry County Public Schools
- Portsmouth Public Schools — Churchland Middle
- Portsmouth Public Schools — Cradock Middle
- Portsmouth Public Schools — William E. Waters Middle
- Richmond Public Schools — Armstrong High
- Richmond Public Schools — John Marshall High
- Roanoke Public Schools — Morningside Elementary
- Roanoke Public Schools — Stonewall Jackson Elementary
- Roanoke Public Schools — William Fleming High
- Roanoke Public Schools — Woodrow Wilson Middle
- Rockbridge County Public Schools — Maury River Middle
- Southside Boys and Girls Club — Campostella Elementary, Norfolk Public Schools
- Virginia Beach Public Schools — Lynnhaven Elementary
Additionally, VDOE is providing second- and third-year funding for 82 programs that received initial grants in 2015 and 2014.
The 21st Century Community Learning Centers program is authorized under Title IV, Part B, of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act. Additional information about the program is available on the VDOE website.
Details about applying for the next 21st Century Learning Centers grant competition will be announced in February 2017.