Online Management of Education Grant Awards (OMEGA)
OMEGA – VDOE’s automated grant application and reimbursement system – eliminates paper submissions associated with grant applications and reimbursement requests. As explained in the User's Guide (PDF), OMEGA enables grant recipients to:
- Review award balances for all open awards;
- Prepare and submit grant applications electronically;
- Use a consistent system for preparing, approving, and submitting grant reimbursement and object code transfer requests;
- Enter data via file upload or online forms; and,
- Receive bulletin board type communications.
Federal Grants Accessible through OMEGA
Currently school divisions and state institutes of higher education are able to use OMEGA to view award balances for all open awards; and submit and view reimbursement requests and object code transfer requests for twenty-seven federal grants:
- NCLB Title I – Part A, Grants to LEAs (CFDA 84.010);
- NCLB Title I – Part C, Education of Migrant Children (CFDA 84.011);
- NCLB Title I – Part D, Neglected and Delinquent (CFDA 84.010);
- NCLB Title II – Part A, Teacher and Principal Training (CFDA 84.367);
- NCLB Title II – Part D, Enhancing Education Through Technology (CFDA 84.318);
- NCLB Title III – Part A, English Language Acquisition (CFDA 84.365);
- NCLB Title IV – Safe and Drug Free State and Local (CFDA 84.186);
- NCLB Title VI – Part B, Subpart 2, Rural Education (CFDA 84.358);
- IDEA, Section 619 Preschool (CFDA 84.173);
- IDEA, Section 611 Flow Through (CFDA 84.027);
- Title I - Perkins Career & Technical Education Act of 2006 (CFDA 84.048);
- NCLB Title IV – Part B, Twenty-First Century Community Learning Centers (CFDA 84.287);
- NCLB Title II – Part B, Mathematics and Science Partnership (CFDA 84.366);
- ESEA Title I – Part B, Subpart 3, Even Start (CFDA 84.213);
- ESEA Title I – Part B, Subpart 1, Reading First (CFDA 84.357);
- NCSA, Learn and Serve (CFDA 94.004);
- Title I – Workforce Investment Act – CTE Federal Perkins (CFDA 84.048);
- Adult Education and Family Literacy – ABE (CFDA 84.002);
- ARRA – State Fiscal Stabilization and Jobs Fund – Education Grants (CFDA 84.394);
- ARRA – Longitudinal Data Systems (CFDA 84.384);
- IDEA – TTAC (CFDA 84.027/84.173);
- IDEA Interpreter Training and Evaluation (CFDA 84.027);
- IDEA RTI Technical Support (CFDA 84.027);
- ARRA Educational Technology Grant (CFDA 84.386);
- ARRA Title I Part A – Improving Basic Programs (CFDA 84.289);
- ARRA – IDEA, Section 619 Preschool (CFDA 84.392);
- ARRA – IDEA, Section 611 Flow Through (CFDA 84.391);
School divisions are also able to submit and view applications online for the first eleven grants listed above.
For more information on these and other federal grants, see Federal Programs
Obtaining Access to OMEGA
Grant recipients access OMEGA via Single Sign-On for Web Systems (SSWS), VDOE’s secure Web portal through which users access all VDOE Web applications. After the grant recipient’s SSWS Manager establishes an individual user’s logon name, password, and e-mail address in SSWS; the grant recipient submits a user permission form indicating the specific OMEGA responsibilities and access to be granted. To add or change user access, one of the following forms
- OMEGA User Permission Form OP1 for School Divisions (XLS) (Revised January 10, 2013)
- OMEGA User Permission Form OP DOE for VDOE Employees (XLS) (Revised April 24, 2013) or
- OMEGA User Permission Form OP-HE for Institutions of Higher Education (XLS) (Revised April 24, 2013)
must be mailed to:
Department of Education
Attn: Accounting Department
P. O. Box 2120
Richmond, VA 23218-2120
VDOE requires a minimum of one “originator” for each request type, one “level 4 approver” (Superintendent or Authorized Superintendent’s Designee) for application requests, and one “level 3 approver” for budget requests and reimbursement requests. After user permissions have been established, the grant recipient user with “Edit Grant Approval Levels” may increase the required number of approvals at each level (the “approval queue”) if desired by the grant recipient.
OMEGA User's Guide & Training
After user permissions at each required level have been established, transactions can be processed. The User's Guide (PDF) has step-by-step instructions for creating, submitting, and approving object code transfer requests, reimbursement requests, and application requests.
Recorded Sessions on a variety of OMEGA functions and end user procedures.
Finance - OMEGA - 2006 SPED Annual Plan, Part III Upload
Overview of uploading Part III Excel File.
Presenter: Karen Lux, August 21, 2006, 14 min.
Finance - OMEGA - Overview of Key Features
High level system overview of OMEGA
Presenter: Karen Lux, August 21, 2006, 13 min.