Private Day & Residential Schools
In compliance with the Code of Virginia, (§ 22.1-321), the Board of Education has authorized the Superintendent of Public Instruction to issue licenses to operate schools for students with disabilities. A school for students with disabilities means a privately owned and operated preschool, school, or educational organization, no matter how titled, maintained or conducting classes for the purpose of offering instruction, for a consideration, profit or tuition, to persons determined to have a disability as defined by the Regulations governing Special Education Programs for Children with Disabilities in Virginia (8 VAC 20-81). No person shall open, operate or conduct any school for students with disabilities in Virginia without a license to operate such school issued by the Board of Education (§22.1-323). The VDOE monitoring specialists in the Division of Special Education and Student Services conduct unannounced reviews of each school at least once every three years. Licenses may be issued for periods of up to three successive years.
- Directory of Private Day & Residential Schools for Students With Disabilities-This is a Word document.
- Regulations Governing the Operation of Private Schools for Students with Disabilities-This is a Word document.
- Process for Completing an Application to Operate a Private School-This is a Word document.
Private Day & Residential Schools for Students with Disabilities Applications & Notifications Forms
- Application for approval of change of location-This is a Word document.
- Application to change a program-This is a Word document.
- Application for exemption from guaranty requirements-This is a Word document.
- Applications for approval of modification or expansion of current facilities-This is a Word document.
- Application for approval to serve additional category(ies) of students-This is a Word document.
- Application to increase the maximum number of students served by the school-This is a Word document.
- Application to merge schools-This is a Word document.
- Notice of a change to administration of the school-This is a Word document.
- Notice of a complaint filed with child protective services-This is a Word document.
- Notice of change in the name of a school-This is a Word document.
- Notice of school-wide emergency situation-This is a Word document.