In Early Childhood Special Education, there are three performance indicators required by the Federal Government.
- Indicator 6 – Preschool Least Restrictive Environment
- Indicator 7 – Preschool Outcomes
- Indicator 12 – Transition from Part C to Part B
Special Education State Performance Report Indicator Data Collection
Indicator 6, Early Childhood Settings
The U.S. Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) requires states to report the percentage of children (three - five years of age) who attend 1) a regular early childhood program and receive the majority of special education and related services in the regular early childhood program; and 2) a separate special education class, separate school, or residential facility. It is through the December 1 Special Education Child Count that Indicator 6 data is collected. Local Education agencies (LEAs) are required to report on each child receiving special education and related services. Data reported includes preschool educational placement. In Virginia, data is reported for children ages birth - five.
- Virginia Indicator 6 Decision Tree (PDF) – The Virginia Department of Education has developed an Indicator 6 Decision Tree to assist with reporting each child’s educational environment. This document provides the steps for determining the accurate educational environment classification.
- Indicator 6: Educational Environments for Children Birth-Five Instructions (PDF) – This instructional document provides definitions to key vocabulary as well as steps for determining the accurate educational environment classification using the Indicator 6 Decision Tree.
- Questions and Answers for Educational Environments and Children Birth-Five (PDF) – This instructional document provides answers to frequently asked questions regarding Indicator 6. It is designed to assist Local Education Agency personnel in accurately collecting and reporting Indicator 6 data.
- Customized Indicator 6 Decision Tree Tool – This tool, developed by the Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center, provides an application for determining the accurate educational environment classification. Click on “Virginia” to use the customized tool aligned with Virginia’s data reporting format.
- Indicators 5 & 6: Placement in the Least Restrictive Environment – School-age and Preschool (Word) – This document provides the Special Education Performance Plan Data Profile Self-Assessment Questions for Indicators 5 & 6: Placement in the Least Restrictive Environment, School-age and Preschool.
- Understanding Indicator 6 Webinars
Indicator 7, Preschool Outcomes
Indicator 7 Overview & Federal Reporting Categories
- The Child Outcomes Summary Process: Procedures Specific to Virginia – This webinar provides guidance from the Virginia Department of Education to school divisions to complete the Child Outcomes Summary (COS) process, a team process for summarizing information related to a child’s progress on each of the three child outcome areas for Indicator 7.
- Indicator 7 Overview (Word) – This document provides a brief overview of Indicator 7, Preschool Outcomes. It includes the five categories of progress provided by the Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP).
- Summary Statement Definitions (PDF) – This document clarifies the summary statements and provides a formula for Indicator 7 data.
- Federal Reporting Categories (PDF) – This document provides the Federal Reporting Categories for Indicator 7, Preschool Outcomes. It provides an explanation of the Progress Category and the COSF ratings. The document was created by the Early Childhood Outcomes Center.
Indicator 7 Child Outcomes Summary Forms & Process
- Early Childhood Outcomes Progress Summary Form (Word) – This document is the Child Outcomes Summary Form that can be used to determine the rating at child entry and exit.
- Instructions for Completing the Early Childhood Outcomes Progress Summary Form (Word) – This document provides instructions designed to assist teams in completing the Child Outcomes Summary Form at entry and at exit.
- Definitions for Outcome Ratings (PDF) – This document defines "completely, somewhat, nearly and not yet" ratings for use with the Child Outcomes Summary Form (COSF) for Indicator 7, Preschool Outcomes.
- Decision Tree for Summary Rating Discussions (PDF) – This document provides a decision tree designed to help teams determine the outcome rating at entry and exit.
- Guiding Questions (Word) – This document provides information and questions regarding the three outcome areas: a.) Positive social-emotional skills (including social relationships), b.) Acquisition and use of knowledge and skills (including early language/ communication and early literacy), and c.) Use of appropriate behaviors to meet needs.
- Data Profile Critical Area Self-Assessment Questions (Word) – This document provides self-assessment questions for Local Education Agencies to create a data profile for Indicator 7.
- Indicator 12 Instructions-This is a Word document.
- Indicator 12: Part C to Part B Transition Technical Assistance Document-This is a Word document. – This document provides technical assistance related to the transition from Part C to Part B and includes essential regulations as well as information regarding reporting Indicator 12.
Data is collected through the Special Education Indicators application in SSWS. See your SSWS Account Manager for access.
Resources related to federal and state requirements for the transition from Early Intervention to Early Childhood Special Education are provided on the page titled Transition from Early Intervention (Part C) to Early Childhood Special Education (Part B).