In the field of early childhood education, continuing professional development is critical. Research is always discovering new things, and trends are always changing. Anyone who is providing support or teaching a young child must be on top of – and responding to – these changes.
Virginia Professional Development Links
- Leadership in Effective And Developmentally-appropriate Services in ECSE (LEADS) – This website supports the Virginia Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) leaders responsible for administrative oversight of local ECSE programs. The primary focus is to provide consistent information statewide to improve the collection, reporting, and use of ECSE indicator data; and connect, support, and empower local leaders to build capacity and provide high-quality programs and services throughout the state for young children ages 2-5 years with IEPs.
- VDOE’s Regional Training and Technical Assistance Centers – There are seven TTACs that support professionals who teach students with disabilities across the eight Regions in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- VDOE’s TTAC Online – TTAC Online provides resources, events, and online training to support the education of individuals with disabilities.
- VDOE’s TTAC Events – TTAC provides a list of events related to educating individuals with disabilities across the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Virginia Commonwealth University Autism Center for Excellence – The VCU-ACE improves services and supports for individuals with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) by promoting the implementation of research-based practices in schools and the community through training, technical assistance, research, and collaboration.
- Virginia Cross Sector Professional Development Team – The VCPD promotes planning, implementation, and evaluation of professional development with the intent to ensure coordination of all early childhood PD in Virginia.
- Virginia Early Intervention Professional Development – This site provides information, resources, and a broad range of professional development efforts specifically designed for early interventionists, students, families, faculty and all committed to learning of young children.
- Virginia Preschool Initiative Plus (VPI+) – The mission of VPI+ is to transform the existing State Preschool Program into a national exemplar. VPI+ is working to increase preschool enrollment across the commonwealth, and to develop a state-wide infrastructure of supports that include curriculum, professional development, and assessment. The VPI+ website provides a library of early childhood video clips and professional development resources.
- Virginia’s Competencies of Early Childhood Professionals (PDF) - This document provides the core body of knowledge and skills professionals need in order to support optimal growth and learning of children from birth to kindergarten.
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) Knowledge and Skill Sets - The CEC Knowledge and Skill Sets delineate the essential knowledge and skills that beginning special education professionals must possess to be ready to begin their practice in specific areas. There are Knowledge and Skill Sets on Early Childhood Special Education/Early Intervention.
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC), Division of Early Childhood (DEC), and the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) Personnel Standards Alignment - This website provide a crosswalk of these organizations’ standards for personnel serving infants and young children and their families.
- Division for Early Childhood, Enhancing Services for Young Children with Disabilities Recommended Practices - The Division for Early Childhood of the Council for Exceptional Children provides guidance to practitioners and families about the most effective ways to improve the learning outcomes and promote the development of young children, birth through age 5, who have or are at-risk for developmental delays or disabilities. On this page, the practices in addition to other beneficial resources to implement the practices are provided.
- National Professional Development Center in Autism Spectrum Disorder, Evidence-Based Practices - The NPDC in ASD provides a list of interventions researchers have shown to be effective for students of various ages with ASD. The page contains the list of practices as well as research briefs, describing how to implement the practice.
National Professional Development Links
- Franklin Porter Graham Child Development Institute, CONNECT Courses
- National Center for Special Education Personnel and Related Service Providers
- National Professional Development Center for Inclusive Practices
- Head Start Center for Inclusion
- CONNECT, The Center to Mobilize Early Childhood Knowledge Modules
- Center for Social Emotional Foundations of Early Learning Training Modules
- Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center (ECTA)
- Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) Early Childhood Professional Development