Assessments & Accommodations
It is the intent of the Commonwealth of Virginia to include all students with disabilities in the assessment component of Virginia's accountability system. IDEA 2004 regulations require that all students with disabilities participate in the state's accountability system.
Students with disabilities may participate in the Standards of Learning (SOL) assessments, Virginia Grade Level Alternative (VGLA), Virginia Substitute Evaluation Program (VSEP), and Virginia Alternate Assessment Program (VAAP).
When determining participation in Virginia's Accountability System, all students with disabilities first must be considered for participation in the SOL assessments. A student's IEP or 504 Plan must specify the student's participation in the state accountability system as follows:
- participation in the Standards of Learning test with no accommodations;
- participation in the Standards of Learning test with accommodations;
- participation in the Virginia Grade Level Assessment (VGLA), Virginia Substitute Evaluation Program (VSEP), or Virginia Alternate Assessment Program (VAAP)
- The document Procedures for Participation of Students with Disabilities in Virginia's Accountability System has been updated and reorganized into two documents as follows:
- Students with Disabilities: Guidelines for Assessment Participation (PDF) – Provides the state assessment options available to students with disabilities, the participation criteria, and information about the roles and responsibilities of Individualized Education Program (IEP) teams and 504 committees in making assessment determinations.
- Students with Disabilities: Guidelines for Special Test Accommodations (PDF) – Provides information on a four-step process for selecting and using test accommodations and a description of test accommodations currently permitted on state assessments.
- Virginia Grade Level Alternative (VGLA)
- Virginia Substitute Evaluation Program (VSEP)
- Virginia Alternate Assessment Program (VAAP)
- Alternative and Alternate Assessment section of T/TAC Online—This section includes information on the various alternative and alternate assessment options for the state of Virginia.
- U.S Department of Education's Office of Special Education Programs—Includes information on regulations, guidance and state plans regarding assessment options for students with disabilities.