English Language Learners
Public schools within the Commonwealth of Virginia are committed to ensuring a free and appropriate public education for students with disabilities who are ages 2 by September 30th of the current school year through 21 in accordance with the Code of Virginia, at §§ 22.1-213 and 22.1- 254, and the Regulations Governing Special Education Programs for Children with Disabilities in Virginia, at 8 VAC 20-80-10. This commitment includes providing equal access to appropriate educational services for students who are English Language Learners (ELLs), who may also have disabilities.
- Handbook for Educators of Students Who Are English Language Learners with Suspected Disabilities (PDF) – provides local educational agencies (LEAs) with assistance as they identify and assess students who are ELLs for possible eligibility for special education and related services.
- English: Strategies for Teaching LEP Students (PDF) – a supplement to the K-12 English SOL Enhanced Scope and Sequence to assist teachers in aligning classroom instruction with the revised English standards.
- Mathematics: Strategies for Teaching LEP Students (PDF) – a supplement to the K-12 Mathematics SOL Enhanced Scope and Sequence to assist teachers in aligning classroom instruction with the revised Math standards.
- English as a Second Language Standards, Assessments & Resources
- Resources for Parents of English Language Learners