Security Equipment Grants
2014-2015 School Security Equipment Grant Program – Revisions to Approved Applications and Reimbursement Process – See Superintendent's Memo 286-14
The Virginia Public School Authority (VPSA) issued $6 million in equipment notes in conjunction with the existing Virginia Public School Authority technology notes program. Proceeds of these additional notes will be used to help offset related local costs associated with the purchase of appropriate security equipment to improve and ensure the safety of public school students. Also, see 2014-2015 School Security Equipment Grants Program Application – Superintendent's Memo #163-14, June 20, 2014.
2014-2015 Application Process
School divisions are eligible to receive up to $100,000 each fiscal year through a competitive grant process. To be considered, grant applications must be submitted to VDOE by August 1, 2014.
- Guidelines for School Divisions Applying to the School Security Equipment Grants Program (PDF) – Attachment A to Superintendent's Memo #163-14
- Application for 2014-2015 School Security Equipment Grants Program - Due Date: August 1, 2014 (Word) – Attachment B to Superintendent's Memo #163-14
The funds are to be used to purchase security equipment that will be installed in eligible schools. Grant money cannot be used to pay for security equipment not specified in the grant application. Each school receiving funding must remain open for at least five years with no planned renovations/additions scheduled during that time that would cause the purchased security equipment to become obsolete.
New for 2014-2015: to facilitate the installation of school security equipment during the summer months and to expedite the spend-down of these grant funds, school divisions and regional programs may apply for grants to reimburse school security equipment expenditures incurred on or after May 22, 2014. For more information, see Superintendent's Memo 152-14.
Local Match Requirement
School divisions submitting applications are required to provide a local match of 25 percent of the grant amount. For school divisions with a composite index of local ability-to-pay less than 0.2000 – including any division participating in a regional vocational center, special education center, alternative education center or academic year Governor’s School – the Superintendent of Public Instruction is authorized to reduce the local match. The Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind is exempt from the match requirement.
A request for reimbursement form must be completed and submitted to VDOE’s Support Services with documentation showing the school name, purchases made, and total cost of the qualifying equipment purchased. Awarded grant funds will be maintained and disbursed from accounts administered by the State Non-Arbitrage Program (SNAP) under VPSA. Purchases of security equipment must be made within six months of notification.
- 2014-2015 Security Equipment Grant Reimbursement Form (XLS)
- 2013-2014 Security Equipment Grant Reimbursement Form (XLS)
Once the reimbursement request is approved, written certification will be sent to SNAP for reimbursement payment. SNAP will make the payment within 30 days of receipt of the certification.
- Electronic Funds Transfer Form (PDF) for VPSA Security Equipment withdrawal
- New for 2014-2015: Revisions to Approved Applications
It may be necessary to revise the original grant application(s) approved for funding. A reason to revise an application may be to add additional eligible equipment to expend a remaining balance in the grant when the original equipment requested cost less than anticipated.
Revisions to the approved applications may be made through the Single Sign-on for Web System (SSWS) portal for the 2014-2015 grant. In order to make changes to an application, an SSWS account is required. If the individual making the change to the application does not have an SSWS account, they will need to request access through their local SSWS account manager. They will need to receive “Data Entry” access in the Security Equipment Grant Management (SEGM) application.
Once an individual has access to SEGM, they will need to follow these steps:
- Notify the VDOE Support Services Office at 804-225-2035 or 804-225-2037 to discuss the changes to be made to the application. If the change is approved, the division’s grant application will be opened for revision.
- Log into SSWS.
- Select the application “Security Equipment Grant Management (SEGM).”
- On the right-hand side select “Maintain Addendum.”
- Select the school application you wish to update.
- At the bottom of the screen, there is a comment box where you will type the information to revise your application. (This will not change the amount of your grant.)
- Click “Save.” Clicking “Save” will automatically return you to the division level view so another school can be selected, if desired.
- Once all school application changes have been entered into SEGM, click the “Submit to Superintendent” button. This will lock the application from further changes.
- The division superintendent will be sent an email for their online approval of the addendum. The superintendent must log into SEGM to approve this request.
- If the division superintendent does not approve the request, the individual submitting the request will receive an email indicating the disapproval along with any comments from the superintendent. The application will again be opened for data entry. The same process above must be followed to make corrections and click “Submit to Superintendent.”
- This process will continue until the division superintendent approves and clicks the “Submit to DOE” button.
- News Release, September 25, 2014 – Governor McAuliffe Awards $6 Million in School Security Equipment Grants
- News Release, September 3, 2013 – Governor McDonnell Awards $6 Million in School Security Equipment Grants – Upgrades Funded for 459 School Buildings in 86 Divisions and Regional Programs
If you have questions, please contact the Division of Support Services at (804) 225-2035 or (804) 225-2037 by phone or email: June.Eanes@doe.virginia.gov, Hunter.Barnes@doe.virginia.gov, or Vijay.Ramnarain@doe.virginia.gov.