School Health Services
School health programs in Virginia public schools support the physical and emotional well-being of students through school nursing services, health education covering a range of developmentally appropriate topics and other services that promote a healthy learning environment.
Use the menu to the right to navigate to the sub-sections of this topic:
- School Health Office
- School Nurse Professional Development – A School Health Services Resource from the Virginia Department of Education
- School Health Advisory Boards (SHAB) – Each Virginia public school board establishes a school health advisory board consisting of representation from parents, students, health professionals, educators and others.
- Medicaid & Schools – School divisions can submit reimbursement claims to Medicaid for some services provided to students.
COVID-19 Related School Nurse Resources
- VA Association of School Nurses provides a the School Health Resources Recovery Plan resource document with school nurse specific information related to processes and procedures impacted by COVID 19.
- The Virginia Department of Health (VDH) has released the Contact Tracing as a Partnership Involving VDH, the Child and Parents/Guardians, and Schools/Childcare Programs-This is a PDF document. document to assist in breaking he chain of disease transmission and preventing further spread of the virus into the community.
- Contact Tracing as a Partnership Involving VDH, the Child and Parents/Guardians, and Schools/Childcare Programs-This is a PDF document. document to assist in breaking he chain of disease transmission and preventing further spread of the virus into the community.
- The VDH Isolation and Quarantine Infographic-This is a PDF document. explains the difference between isolation and quarantine.
- The VDH Ending Isolation Infographic-This is a PDF document. explains parameters for return to school or work, with or without COVID testing.
School Entrance Requirements
Reference to Commonwealth & Policy Made at the Local Level
- School Entrance Physical Examination Requirements-This is a Word document.
- The VDH Commonwealth of Virginia School Entrance Health Form (MCH213G) is now available for use in an online fillable format on the School Health website.