School Health Advisory Boards (SHAB)Each Virginia public school board establishes a school health advisory board consisting of representation from parents, students, health professionals, educators and others. The school health advisory board assists with the development of health policy in the school division and the evaluation of the status of school health, health education, the school environment and health services. See full Code of Virginia § 22.1-275.1 language.
- Sample School Health Advisory Board (SHAB) activities in localities across the state (PDF)
- Promoting Healthy Students – A Guide for School Health Advisory Boards (PDF)
Surveys & Reports
The purposes of the School Health Advisory Board (SHAB) survey and report are to evaluate school divisions' adherence to the Code of Virginia SHAB requirements; identify the concerns of School Health Advisory Boards statewide; and present a consolidated picture of the accomplishments and plans of School Health Advisory Boards statewide.
- 2010-2011 School Health Advisory Board Report (PDF) – A summary of the annual reports of local School Health Advisory Boards in Virginia.
- 2010-2011 School Health Advisory Board Annual Progress Report and Local Wellness Policy Status Report – Superintendent's Memo #074-12.
- 2010 School Health Profiles Report - for Virginia (PDF) – The School Health Profiles Report is a national system of surveys assessing school health policies and practices in states, large urban school districts, territories and tribal governments. Profiles are conducted biennially by education and health agencies among middle and high school principals and lead health education teachers. The complete School Health Profiles Reports are available through the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion.