Student & School Support
VDOE and the commonwealth’s public schools work in partnership to support and improve teaching and learning through a variety of programs and activities promoting the safety and well being of students. These efforts include:
- Improving instruction through effective reforms and best practices
- Promotion of wellness through good nutrition and physical activity and school-health programs
- Equipping children with knowledge and skills to make wise choices
- Selecting and employing technology to improve teaching and learning
- Constructing and maintaining schools and infrastructure that meet the needs of today’s learners and educators
- Maintaining safe learning environments and transporting children safely to and from school
- Educating children in non-traditional settings
VDOE provides leadership, consultation and technical assistance to schools and school divisions in the effective use of technology to improve instruction and student learning. The department assists in the implementation of the Computer/Technology Standards of Learning and the commonwealth’s Technology Standards for Instructional Personnel. The department also provides expanded opportunities for learning to students and educators through innovative virtual programs such as Virtual Learning, Learning Without Boundaries and Share the Skies. Find out more about Technology in Virginia Education.
Virginia to participate in national Green Ribbon Schools pilot program
Virginia will participate in the U.S. Department of Education (USED) Green Ribbon Schools pilot program that recognizes schools where staff, students, officials and communities have worked together to produce energy efficient, sustainable and healthy school environments and to ensure the sustainability and environmental literacy of graduates. More about Green Ribbon Schools criteria and application process.