To assist school nutrition managers, program directors and supervisors, VDOE provides productivity and efficiency tools as well as a variety of training, technical assistance professional development opportunities.
New! Civil Rights
Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program
Nutrition Standards in School Meals
- See related Regulation requirements, guidance and the required USDA Certifiction tools.
- Making Healthy Changes for Healthy Children and Healthy Choices – New Meal Pattern Training Resource. This is training on the New meal pattern targeted to the school nutrition managers and staff. Two training modules from the 2012 Summer Managers Workshops provide training opportunities for school nutrition program staff.
- Module 1: Understanding the New Meal Pattern – This module covers the school lunch meal pattern changes initiated in 2012-2013 under the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010.”
- Module 2: Offer vs. Serve – How to implement Offer vs. Serve with the New School Meals (2012) – This module covers the implementation of Offer versus Serve under the meal pattern requirements initiated in 2012-2013.
- Resources for Recognizing Reimbursable Meals
- Build a Healthy Meal
- Offer vs. Serve Poster (PDF)
- Identifying a Reimbursable Meal Flyer
- Daily Menu Components Flyer
- Build a Healthy Meal
Nutrition Standards for Competitive Foods and Fundraisers
The Virginia Regulations Governing Nutritional Standards for Competitive Foods Available for Sale in the Public Schools became effective on October 18, 2017. The following resources include information and guidance related to these standards.
- Play webinar recording-This is an MP4 document followed by a transcript of this webinar. – Webinar Transcript-This is a Word document.
- PowerPoint presentation-This is a PPT document followed by an accessible Word version. – Accessible Alternative Version of Presentation-This is a Word document.
For the complete regulations, please see Superintendent’s Memo 291-17 and Attachment A: Regulations Governing Nutritional Standards for Competitive Foods-This is a Word document..
- Local Wellness Policy Guidelines for Implementing the State Regulations on Competitive Foods-This is a Word document.
- Fundraisers 101 and Smart Snacks Guidelines-This is a Word document.: Consistent nutrition messages and promoting healthy choices are important components of student wellness. Schools are encouraged to consider non-food fundraisers, such as a 5K walk or read-a-thon, to raise money for school organizations.
- Healthy Fundraiser Snapshots (National PTA)-This is a Word document.
- USDA Healthy Fundraiser Resources
- Exempt Fundraiser Tracking Tool Sample-This is a XLS document.
- Exempt Fundraiser Permit Sample-This is a Word document.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)-This is a Word document.
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation Resources
School nutrition programs and others using federal or state funds for purchases must follow all required procurement regulations. The VDOE does not endorse or promote the Alliance for a Healthier Generation online store.
Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)
- SFSP Application Procedure – resources are from the April 2018 Training Webinar.
Productivity & Efficiency Tools
- Essential KPI Interactive Spreadsheet available in the Financial Management for Directors section of the Institute of Child Nutrition (ICN) website
- USDA Non-Program Revenue Calculator Tool (XLS)
- How to Determine a Time Standard for a Food Production Task-This is a Word document.
- Master Production Schedule Template-This is an excel spreadsheet.
- Daily Production Schedule Template-This is an excel spreadsheet.
- Weekly Cleaning Schedule Template-This is an excel spreadsheet.
- Service Line Schedule Template-This is an excel spreadsheet.
- Just-in-time Food Preparation Example-This is a Word document.
- Loss-per-Portion/Cost of Over-Serving Chart-This is an excel spreadsheet.
- Inventory Control Self Evaluation-This is an excel spreadsheet.
- Factors that Affect the Number of Labor Hours Needed-This is a Word document.
- Cost of Time Wasted/Lost-Labor Productivity-This is an excel spreadsheet.
School Nutrition Managers Workshops
Annual workshops on specific content areas for school nutrition program managers are offered throughout the state in July and August. Workshop flyers with registration information are distributed by VDOE to all school nutrition directors for managers in their division.
New Directors' Academies
- New Director’s Academy Phase I – For newly appointed school nutrition program directors and supervisors, a workshop is conduced each fall for newly appointed directors and supervisors with overall program responsibility and includes an onsite visit by the assigned school nutrition program specialist.
- New Director's Academy Phase II – Workshop offered annually in Richmond to provide an orientation to overall program management and the responsibilities of the school nutrition program director.
- New Director's Academy Phase III – A follow-up workshop for school nutrition program directors who have completed Phase I and II that provides participants an opportunity to discuss specific issues in their school nutrition program.
VDOE conducts annual fall and spring meetings for local program directors and supervisors that are held regionally with an assigned specialist acting as facilitator.
- USDA Team Nutrition Healthy Schools
- USDA Team Nutrition Resource Library
- Accommodating Children with Special Dietary Needs in School Nutrition Programs
- Eligibility Manual for School Meals
- Biosecurity Checklist for School Foodservice Programs: Developing a Biosecurity Management Plan
- Guidance for School Food Authorities: Developing a School Food Safety Program Based on the Process Approach to HACCP Principles
- School Nutrition Association
- School Nutrition Association of Virginia
- Society for Nutrition Education
- 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans and MyPlate
- Institute of Child Nutrition