Safety & Crisis Management
News Release, September 3, 2013 – Governor McDonnell Awards $6 Million in School Security Equipment Grants – Upgrades Funded for 459 School Buildings in 86 Divisions and Regional Programs. See news release, also see Security Equipment Grants.
Safe schools share characteristics that contribute to an environment that supports teaching and learning. These characteristics include:
- a focus on academic achievement
- family and community involvement
- positive relationships among students and staff
- open discussions of safety-related issues
- well-designed emergency and crisis management plans
- systems for referring children suspected of being abused or neglected
- programs and policies that promote good citizenship and character development
VDOE supports schools in this critical area by providing technical support, resources and model plans and policies.