Safety & Crisis Management
August 31, 2011 is the deadline for school division superintendents to certify school board review of school crisis, emergency management and medical emergency response plans. See Superintendent's Memo #187-11.
Safe schools share characteristics that contribute to an environment that supports teaching and learning. These characteristics include:
- a focus on academic achievement
- family and community involvement
- positive relationships among students and staff
- open discussions of safety-related issues
- well-designed emergency and crisis management plans
- systems for referring children suspected of being abused or neglected
- programs and policies that promote good citizenship and character development
VDOE supports schools in this critical area by providing technical support, resources and model plans and policies.