Indistar Planning Tool
Indistar is a Web-based tool that guides a division or school team in charting its improvement and managing the continuous improvement process. Indistar is premised on the firm belief that division and school improvement is best accomplished when directed by the people closest to the students. While the state provides a framework for the process, each division team and school team applies its own ingenuity to achieve the results it desires for its students.
The Indistar Web-based tool assists school-level and division-level teams with assessing, planning, implementing, and monitoring progress toward accomplishing the rapid improvement indicators (school-level teams) or district improvement indicators (division-level teams).
The six-step process includes:
- Step 1 – Register school/division
- Step 2 – Provide school/division information
- Step 3 – Form school/division team
- Step 4 – Assess school/division indicators
- Step 5 – Create school/division plan
- Step 6 – Monitor school/division plan
The tool includes Wise Ways research briefs to support its indicators of effective practice as well as Indicators in Action video modules demonstrating the practices, and the technology for capacity builders to coach the teams in real time. In addition, it provides coaches with the capability to assist school- and/or division-level teams with coaching comments about the team’s ongoing work.
Rapid improvement school indicators form the foundation of Indistar. These indicators of effective practice are concrete, behavioral expressions of professional practice that research demonstrates contribute to student learning.
Additional indicators are available for high schools, priority schools and school divisions.
See additional information regarding the Indistar Web-based planning tool.
Technical Assistance Recorded Trainings
The Office of School Improvement has created a series of recorded trainings to support schools using Indistar to create school improvement plans. Each recording in the series “Using the Indistar Web-based Planning Tool to Support School Improvement” must be viewed by school leadership teams of all schools required to use Indistar to create a school improvement plan:
- Focus schools
- Schools rated Accredited with Warning
- Priority schools
- Title I schools that did not meet an AMO
Supporting materials for Virginia users:
- Indistar User Guide 2014-2015 (Word) – the guide is designed to serve as a companion to the pre-recorded Indistar instructional videos below.
- Step by Step Indistar Guide (Word) – Revised November 2014
- Guiding Questions for Developing Tasks for TA01, TA02 and TA03 (Word)
Using the Indistar Web-based Planning Tool to Support School Improvement
- Play Video Session 1 – Introduction, Entering School Information, and Selecting Indicators to Assess (37:02)
- Play Video Session 2 – Creating Tasks (32:16)
- Play Video Supplemental Session (to be viewed after Session 2) – Targeted Intervention Indicators (23:27)
- Play Video Session 3 – Monitoring the Improvement Plan (31:43)
- Session 4 – Coaching Comments (recorded video coming soon)
Through the Center on Innovations in Learning (CIL), divisions have access to Indistar, CIL's web-based school improvement planning and coaching tool, as well as CIL-developed training and materials. For assistance in registering to use indistar, please contact Dr. Yvonne Holloman.
School Improvement Support Session (SISS)
School and/or division leadership teams may participate in School Improvement Support Session (SISS) webinars. These voluntary sessions will focus on the basic components of the Indistar Web-based planning tool and improvement planning processes. Participants will have an opportunity ask questions and receive technical assistance. Please send all questions to Dr. Yvonne Holloman prior to each session.
All sessions will begin at 10 a.m. on the following dates:
- November 20, 2014
- January 22, 2015
- February 19, 2015
- March 19, 2015
To connect to the Web Conference:
Click here: https://connect20.uc.att.com/vait/meet/?ExEventID=84055322&CT=M
TO CONNECT WITH YOUR *TELEPHONE ONLY* (no computer):
1. Choose one of the following numbers to dial:
If you are calling from an office location with on-site number(s) (listed below), try this number first. If you do not have on-site access, or you are not a member of the host's company/organization, use one of the other numbers shown.
* Toll-Free Number (in USA): (877)873-8018.
* Caller-Paid number: (636)651-3182
* Blackberry (Toll-Free Number): 8778738018x4055322#
2. When prompted, enter the Meeting Access Code: 4055322#
Prepare in advance for the conference (for all devices)