Educational Technology Planning
State Technology Plan
The Board of Education maintains a detailed comprehensive, six-year plan to integrate educational technology into the Standards of Learning and the curricula of the public schools in Virginia. The plan presents a vision for the use of technology in schools and classrooms, and it serves as a blueprint for school divisions by identifying the necessary components of an effective technology program. For 2015-2017, an addendum to the 2010-2015 Plan was developed in order bring the state technology plan in alignment with the timeline for the state Board of Education’s comprehensive plan. A new long-range plan will then be developed to begin in 2017
- Educational Technology Plan for Virginia: 2010-15 Executive Summary (PDF)
- Educational Technology Plan for Virginia: 2010-15 (PDF)
Local Technology Planning
VDOE provides assistance and resources to help schools divisions align local plans with the state plan; meet all state and federal requirements; assess the quality of local plans; and assess progress toward meeting state goals for educational technology integration.
Because VDOE has developed an addendum to the current plan, school divisions are encouraged to do the same for the time span of 2015 or 2016 (depending on the date their current plan expires) through 2018. By planning through 2018 now, divisions will then have a year from the time the state technology plan is approved (2017) and the date that they will need to have their division plan aligned to that new long-range plan.
Divisions may also choose to develop a completely new technology plan, aligned to the 2015-2017 Addendum to the Educational Technology Plan for Virginia: 2010-2015. These divisions should use the Division Plan Alignment Document below.
Technology Planning Resources
- Acceptable Use Policy Guidance
- Guidelines for Internet Safety
- Essential Elements of ITC Literacy (PDF)
- Technology Planning Information Brief (PDF) – VDOE Office of Education Technology (2007)
- Instructional Technology Resource Teacher and Technology Support Positions Handbook (PDF)
- National Education Technology Plan 2010
- Various Virginia Department of Education Data Collection Reports
- Division-Based Development of Open Education Resources (PDF) Information Brief, February 2013
- Sexting: Implications for Schools (PDF) Information Brief, October 2009
- Cyberbullying and School Policy (PDF) Information Brief, August 2008
- Virginia SchoolSpeedTest Results (PDF) Information Brief, February 2014
- Educational Technology Guidelines: Designing and Maintaining Instructional Technology Systems – key information for designing and maintaining instructional systems that transition technology seamlessly into teaching, learning, and school management (2008).
- Implications of Digital Conversion for Virginia’s Schools (PDF) Information Brief, January 2008
- Infusing Assistive Technology for Learning: Assuring Access for all Students (PDF)
- Enterprise Technical Architecture Standard, Virginia Information Technologies Agency (VITA)
- Education Technology Notes (VPSA funding)
- Virginia Information Technologies Agencies (VITA) Statewide Contract Search Page
- Guidelines for the Donation of Obsolete Educational Technology Hardware and Software by School Boards to Students (PDF)
- CoSN/Gartner TCO Tool & Case Studies – the Consortium for School Networking
The E-Rate program is a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) program intended to provide discounts on telecommunications services, Internet access and internal connections to libraries and schools. The program is administered by the Schools and Libraries Division, which is a part of the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC), on behalf of the FCC.
- VDOE E-Rate Information
- USAC training site with additional information.
- E-Rate Central – consulting, compliance and forms processing services for e-rate applicants.
- E-Rate Information and Training from the Library of Virginia
- Superintendent’s Memo #116-14 – EducationSuperHighway State Broadband Pricing Project, April 25, 2014
- EducationSuperHighway Item 21 Entry Portal
- EducationSuperHighway Video on Item 21 Entry Portal
- Webinar – Entering Item 21 Data in the Pricing Portal
Assessment and Evaluation
Previous Version Technology Plans & Materials
- Also available: 2003-2009 Educational Technology Plan for Virginia (PDF)
- School Division Technology Plan Alignment Report (Word) (2004)
- School Division Technology Plan Alignment Workbook (Word) (2004)