News & Announcements
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) is proud to provide information regarding FREE Computer Science professional learning opportunities offered by Oracle Academy. Courses in Java Foundations, Intermediate Java Programming, Database Foundations, and Getting Started with Java Using Greenfoot will be provided. Prior computer programming experiences are not required for participation in any of the courses. Course descriptions, dates, and an interest survey are available on this informational flier-This is a PDF document.. Interest surveys are due by December 8, 2017.
VDOE-sponsored Intel Elements Professional Development
VDOE provides six-week facilitated online courses through a grant with Intel. These professional development courses are available to educators in Virginia at no cost. The courses are conducted all online (no face-to-face meetings needed) and take approximately 30 hours, or 5 hours per week, to complete. The courses are facilitated by Virginia educators. Participants will receive a certificate at the end that can be used towards 30 recertification points.
CoursesClick the course titles below to view a syllabus. Please read these before signing up to ensure you will benefit from the class.
- Thinking Critically with Data (Word) – critical thinking and data analysis with kids
- Project-Based Approaches (Word) – foster self-directed learning
- Assessment in 21st Century Classroom (Word) – develop student-centered assessment
- Collaboration in the Digital Classroom (Word) – use online tools to assist collaboration in the classroom
- Inquiry in the Science Classroom (Word) – develop students’ abilities in authentic inquiry activities
- Designing Blended Learning (Word) – design your own blended learning experience for students
- Mobile Learning (PDF) – Two-part course (still only five weeks) introducing mobile learning and how to use mobile devices to encourage creativity
Our 6-week Intel online professional development courses are being revised this summer and fall. The new courses will be available starting in Winter of 2018.
Educational Technology Conferences in Virginia
- VSTE Annual Technology in Education Conference – The Annual Technology in Education Conference brings educators together to explore ways to use technology to support and enhance teaching and learning. The 2016 Annual Technology in Education conference will be held December 4-6, 2016 at the Virginia Beach Conference Center. The conference is sponsored by the Virginia Society for Technology in Education (VSTE). If you have questions or need additional information, please contact Karen Richardson, VSTE Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outside Resources for Professional Development
- Educational Technology Leaders Online (ETLO)
- Virginia's PBS TeacherLine
- WHRO CII Professional Development Schedule
- Upcoming vendor-based training for ITRTs and Technology Directors:
- North TIER
Professional Development for Teachers Who Plan to Teach Online
- For Online Teachers – resources for teachers interested in learning how to teach an online course, whether it be fully online or blended.