Professional Development for Technology Integration
VDOE-sponsored Online Professional Development for Technology Integration
VDOE provides six-week facilitated online courses in various effective ways to integrate technology into classroom instruction, available to educators in Virginia at no cost. The courses are conducted all online (no face-to-face meetings needed) and take approximately 30 hours, or 5 hours per week, to complete. The courses are facilitated by Virginia educators. Participants will receive a certificate at the end that can be used towards 30 recertification points (though your local recertification manager is the person who accepts these points as valid for your particular situation).
Our six-week courses are being updated during the 2017-2018 year to reflect how technology integration supports the Profile of a Virginia Graduate.
Below (under the heading ‘Documents’) are the titles for the courses we offer. Please read the syllabus before signing up to ensure you will benefit from the class (click on the course title to download the syllabus as a Word document).
Courses for the Summer session have been completely filled. Please be aware that we will offer courses this fall as well. Registration will begin August 15 (no requests can be filled before that date) and will begin on September 19, 2018.
- Project-Based Approaches-This is a Word document. – foster self-directed learning
- Collaboration in the Digital Classroom-This is a Word document. – use online tools to assist collaboration in the classroom
- Designing Blended Learning-This is a Word document. – design your own blended learning experience for students
- Assessment in 21st Century Classrooms – explore different types of assessments
- Thinking Critically with Data-This is a Word document. – how to involve students in using real data for knowledge creation
- Inquiry in the Science Classroom-This is a Word document. – use science content and skills to teach thinking
Educational Technology Conferences in Virginia
The Leading Edge Forum is a joint event sponsored by the Virginia Society of Technology in Education and the Virginia Department of Education. This annual forum is held in the fall. The purpose is to enable division technology directors and specialists to communicate with each other regarding common interests and concerns.
VSTE Annual Technology in Education Conference – The Annual Technology in Education Conference brings educators together to explore ways to use technology to support and enhance teaching and learning. The conference is sponsored by the Virginia Society for Technology in Education (VSTE). If you have questions or need additional information, please contact Karen Richardson, VSTE Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outside Resources for Professional Development
Professional Development for Teachers Who Plan to Teach Online
A list of resources and courses offered for teachers who are interested in pursuing online teaching (fully online or blended).