VDOE-sponsored Intel Elements Professional Development
VDOE provides six-week facilitated online courses through a grant with Intel. These professional development courses are available to educators in Virginia at no cost. The courses are conducted all online (no face-to-face meetings needed) and take approximately 30 hours, or 5 hours per week, to complete. The courses are facilitated by Virginia educators. Participants will receive a certificate at the end that can be used towards 30 recertification points.
The courses are offered on the following schedule for the winter and spring of 2015. The course titles are hyperlinks to a course syllabus in either a Word document or PDF. Please read these before signing up to ensure you will benefit from the class.
Winter, January 21-March 3: Registration ends January 7
Spring, April 15-May 27: Registration ends April 1
Thinking Critically with Data (Word) – critical thinking and data analysis with kids
Project-Based Approaches (Word) – foster self-directed learning
Assessment in 21st Century Classroom (Word) – develop student-centered assessment
Collaboration in the Digital Classroom (Word) – use online tools to assist collaboration in the classroom
Inquiry in the Science Classroom (Word) – develop students’ abilities in authentic inquiry activities
|Designing Blended Learning (Word) – design your own blended learning experience for students|
Mobile Learning (PDF) – Two-part course (still only five weeks) introducing mobile learning and how to use mobile devices to encourage creativity
To sign up, send an email to Jean.Weller@doe.virginia.gov with the following information:
- course name
- your school division (if not currently employed by a division, please note that also)
- your preferred email to use for the course
- if you have taken one of our offered courses before, it is helpful for you to let us know that, to ensure we don’t create multiple accounts for the same person
For those who do not need any credit but are interested in the courses, self-paced versions of each course are available at the Intel Teach website.
Educational Technology Conferences in Virginia
- VSTE Annual Technology in Education Conference – The Annual Technology in Education Conference brings educators together to explore ways to use technology to support and enhance teaching and learning. The 2013 Annual Technology in Education conference will be held December 8 - 10, 2013 at the Roanoke Hotel and Convention Center, Roanoke, Virginia. The conference is sponsored by the Virginia Society for Technology in Education (VSTE). If you have questions or need additional information, please contact Karen Richardson, VSTE Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Educational Technology Leadership Conference – The annual Educational Technology Leadership Conference (ETLC) sponsored by Virginia Tech will be held November 4-6, 2013, at the Williamsburg Hotel and Conference Center in Williamsburg, Virginia. For more information, contact Ken Potter in the Center for Instructional Technology Solutions in Industry and Education at Virginia Tech at 540-231-7039.
Outside Resources for Professional Development
- Educational Technology Leaders Online (ETLO)
- Virginia's PBS TeacherLine
- WHRO CII Professional Development Schedule
- Upcoming vendor-based training for ITRTs and Technology Directors:
Professional Development for Teachers Who Plan to Teach Online
- For Online Teachers – resources for teachers interested in learning how to teach an online course, whether it be fully online or blended.