e-Learning Backpack Initiative
To assist schools that are not fully accredited and have ninth-grade students taking Standards of Learning (SOL) tests, a supplemental grant – financed through the sale of technology notes – became available for the purchase of tablet computers for students and content creation packages for teachers. Money for the supplemental grant comes from proceeds of the sale of educational technology notes by the Virginia Public School Authority (VPSA).
Qualified schools* participating in the Virginia e-Learning Backpack Initiative in FY2014 receive:
- a supplemental grant of $400 per student reported in ninth grade fall membership for the purchase of a tablet computer device
- and a supplemental grant of $2,400 to purchase two content creation packages for teachers.
Example: A qualifying school with 100 ninth graders would receive $42,400
(100 x $400 for tablets, plus $24,00 for content creation packages)
Qualified schools* may continue receiving the grant for the number of subsequent years equaling the number of grades 9-12 up to a maximum of four years.
- A school with grades K-9 or a school with grades 7-9 would be eligible for one year only
- A school with grades 9-10 would be eligible for two years only
- A school with grades 9-11 would be eligible for three years
Qualified schools cannot receive e-Learning Backpack funds once their original award period has concluded.
School divisions with schools receiving supplemental grants in year two are required to:
- provide a local match of 20 percent to purchase tablet computer devices for ninth grade students reported in fall membership and content creation packages for teachers. Example: For a grant of $42,400, the local match would be $8,480
- select a core set of textbooks, applications and online services for productivity, learning management, collaboration and assessment to be included on all devices.
- fund whatever costs above the grant and local match for required apps, textbooks and software
- assume recurring costs for electronic textbook purchases and maintenance
*Qualified schools – those schools with a ninth grade that administer SOL tests in spring 2013 and are not fully accredited based on school accreditation ratings in effect for fiscal year 2014 (FY2014)
State contract holders with tablet solutions
- Apple – VA-100706-APPL
- Apple Products and services – deployment options – VA-120430-MACB
- Attronica Computers Inc. – VA-090202-ATRO
- CDW Government Inc. – VA-090202-CDWG
- Daly Computers Inc. – VA-090202-DALY
- Dell Marketing LP – VA-090202-DELL
- Hewlett-Packard Co. – VA-090202-HP
- KST Data, INC. – VA-090202-KSTD
- Lenovo (US) – VA-090202-LEN
- NCS Technologies Inc. – VA-090202-NCS
- SHI International Corp. – VA-090202-SHI
The 2013 Appropriation Act provides supplemental grants are funded as part of the Virginia Public School Authority (VPSA) Educational Technology Notes program, to support the Virginia e-Learning Backpack Initiative.