Training & Professional Development
Registration now open for the 2013 Transportation Directors/Supervisors Training. See 2013 Transportation Directors/Supervisors Training (PDF).
Registration deadline for School Bus Driver Instructor Training is May 16, 2013. See 2013 Training Schedule and registration instructions (PDF).
VDOE provides training programs that revolve around pupil transportation operations. The department provides training and certification of school bus driver training instructors through programs developed by the Board of Education as required by §22.1-181 of the Code of Virginia.
Virginia School Bus Driver Training Curriculum Guide
The department is also responsible for the development and implementation of the Virginia School Bus Driver Training Curriculum Guide. This guide sets out minimum training requirements for bus drivers (8VAC20-70-350). Persons participating in the various pupil transportation services programs provided by the Department of Education should meet the requirements for persons employed to drive school buses as required by Section 22.1-178 of the Code of Virginia.
Curriculum Guide Contents:(All files are PDF format)
- Unit A: Driver’s Role and Responsibilities
- Unit B: Passenger Conduct
- Unit C: Pre-Trip Responsibilities
- Unit D: Driving Fundamentals
- Unit E: Loading and Unloading Passengers
- Unit F: Accidents and Emergencies
- Unit G: Detecting Hazards
- Unit H: Transit Buses
- Unit I: Behind the Wheel
- Unit J: Forms and Resources
- Unit K: Essay Questions and Answers
- Special Needs Curriculum and Trainer’s Manual
- Special Drivers for Special Children Title Page
- Special Drivers for Special Children Course Guide
- Unit 1: The Challenge of Transporting Children with Special Needs
- Unit 2: Characteristics of Children with Special Needs
- Unit 3: Legal Aspects of Transporting Children with Special Needs
- Unit 4: Communication is Critical for Special Needs Bus Drivers
- Unit 5: Behavior Management Strategies for Children with Special Needs
- Unit 6: Safe Loading and Transportation of Children Using Adaptive Equipment
- Unit 7: Special Preparation for Emergencies
- Unit 8: Unique Responsibilities of Drivers of Special Children
- Special Drivers for Special Children Activity Guide
- Workbook Answer Key