College & University Programs
More than three dozen public and private colleges and universities throughout Virginia offer programs of study for aspiring educators and continuing education opportunities for veteran teachers.
Teacher Education Program Resources
Information for persons interested in pursuing teacher licensure through approved college or university programs.
- Virginia Colleges and Universities with Approved Educator Preparation Programs
- Approved Teacher Education Programs – Virginia colleges and universities with information on types of teacher preparation programs offered at each, including whether they provide undergraduate and/or graduate programs.
- Entry Assessment to Virginia Approved Programs-This is a PDF document.
Resources for Institutions with Teacher Education Programs
- Regulations Governing the Review and Approval of Education Programs in Virginia
- Implementation Manual for the Regulations Governing the Review and Approval of Education Programs in Virginia (PDF) – Includes standards that govern the review and accreditation of the professional education program; standards for biennial review and approval of education programs; indicators of achievement of each standard; and procedures for overall implementation of the regulations.
- Request for New Education Program Endorsement Area Form-This is a Word document. (Word) – Information and form for organizations seeking to offer additional endorsements.
- Accountability Measurement of Partnerships and Collaborations Based on PreK-12 School Needs -This is a XLS document. (XLS) – Forms for submission pertaining to Education Programs and Administration & Supervision Programs.
- Accountability Measurement of Partnerships and Collaborations for Approved Teacher Education Programs – Teacher education programs are reviewed biennially to determine status.
- Biennial Report: Approved Teacher Education Programs Compliance – Accountability Measurements 1 through 6
- Regional Accreditation Organizations-This is a PDF document. – Entities that oversee accreditation of higher education institutions with teacher education programs.
- Definitions of At-Risk of Becoming Low-Performing and Low-Performing Institutions of Higher Education in Virginia As Required by Title II of the Higher Education Act (HEA)-This is a PDF document. – To comply with federal reporting requirements, the Board of Education approved definitions of what constitutes a low-performing and at-risk of becoming low-performing institutions of higher education with teacher preparation programs.
- Interdisciplinary Curriculum Models for Elementary, Middle, and Special Education Teacher Preparation Programs
- Virginia Plan for Title II Reporting Requirements of the Higher Education Act (Sections 201 and 208)-This is a PDF document. – Approved by the Board of Education September 2000.
- Title II State Reports – Virginia – Each state receiving Title II funding is required to report annually on the quality of teacher preparation in the state, including the pass rates by teacher preparation programs. The 2008 reauthorization of the Higher Education Act made sweeping changes to the data collection required under Title II. The 2010 state reports are the first reports submitted by states under the reauthorized law.