Standards for teachers, administrators and other educators in Virginia’s public schools recognize the link between preparation and content knowledge and student achievement.
- Application for a Virginia License (PDF)
- Routes to Licensure in Virginia (PDF) – Virginia provides multiple routes to licensure, including college and university programs approved by the Board of Education, reciprocity for educators licensed by other states and alternative routes for qualified candidates and career switchers.
- Duplicate Licenses (PDF)
- Child Abuse Recognition and Intervention Training – Individuals seeking an initial license and license renewal must complete training in child abuse recognition and intervention in accordance with curriculum guidelines approved by the Board of Education.
- Technology Standards for Instructional Personnel – Individuals seeking an initial license and license renewal must demonstrate the effective use of technology to enhance instruction and improve student learning.
- Professional Teacher’s Assessment Requirements (PDF) – Professional Teacher’s Assessment Requirements for Virginia Licensure and the School Leaders Licensure Assessment for Principals
- Fee Schedule for Licensure (PDF)
- Application information for individuals with out-of-state licenses (PDF)
- Application information for individuals completing out-of-state programs (PDF)
- Information for graduates of foreign institutions of higher learning (PDF)
- ACTFL testing for foreign language applicants (PDF)
- Renewal At A Glance (PDF)
- Virginia Licensure Renewal Manual (PDF)
- Child Abuse Recognition and Intervention Training
- Technology Standards for Instructional Personnel
- Request for Course Approval for Licensure Renewal
Please note that any request for course approval must be submitted in writing to the address shown below. VDOE does not approve courses via e-mail. When submitting a request, please include your name, license number or social security number, a full course description in your correspondence and identify the requirement(s) you intend to satisfy with the course work. Mail all requests to:
Division of Teacher Education and Licensure
Virginia Department of Education
P.O. Box 2120
Richmond, VA 23218-2120
- Adding an endorsement to an existing license (PDF)
- Requesting a name change or duplicate license (PDF)
- Approved College and University Programs in Virginia
- Career Switcher Programs in Virginia
- Regional Accreditation Organizations (PDF)
- Listing of licenses and endorsements denied, revoked, cancelled or reinstated by the Board of Education since 2000 (XLS) | (PDF)
- Teacher and Educator License Query – Search VDOE database of active teaching and educator licenses issued by the Board of Education.
Standards for Teachers
- Professional Teacher's Assessment Requirements for Virginia Licensure & the School Leaders Licensure Assessment for Principals (PDF)